American Airlines’ 777-300ER Aircraft Nearly Complete With Premium Economy Refit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines flyers can rejoice, as flying on the 777-300ER (77W) just got a little more comfortable — the last 77W is headed for premium economy refurbishment as of Tuesday.
The plane, N734AR, operated its last revenue flight from London (LHR) to Dallas (DFW) on May 22, 2018, before heading to Everett (PAE) to be refit with premium economy seats. As of May 23, 2018, all 77Ws in service have a true premium economy cabin. N734AR should be back in service in 7-10 days.
Under the old configuration there were 310 seats, set up in the following arrangement:
|Main Cabin Extra||48|
After the refit, the 77W aircraft now have 304 seats, set up in the following arrangement:
|Main Cabin Extra||28|
The front of the plane has largely remained the same. The premium economy cabin is set up with eight seats across in a 2-4-2 seating arrangement. Passengers traveling in premium economy will enjoy wider seats, pre-ordered meals, complimentary alcoholic beverages, amenity kits, and Casper bedding. Each seat is about 19 inches wide between armrests, and they should feature a similar amount of pitch as the seats on the 772 (38 inches), but we’ve reached out to AA to confirm. Also on the newly reconfigured 77W, Row 16 is an exit row. Seats 16A and 16L do not have a window although they do come with virtually unlimited leg room and a physical leg rest. Check out this review of an AA premium economy experience on board the 777-200.
With this refit, American Airlines is getting closer toward its goal of refitting all of its long-haul aircraft with the new cabin. All work was originally planned to be complete by Q2 2018, but it is slightly behind schedule. There are still 12 777-200 aircraft mostly with Zodiac forward/backward seating, and 20 787-8 aircraft, also with the same Zodiac seating, that still need to be refit.
“The remaining 772s should be completed in the fall/winter timeframe,” an AA spokesperson said. “More details on the 788s will come later in the year.”
You can find the newly refit 77W operating on American Airlines’ signature routes from hubs in Los Angeles (LAX), Dallas (DFW), Miami (MIA), and New York (JFK) to destinations such as Hong Kong (HKG), London (LHR), and Sao Paulo (GRU).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.