American Airlines’ 777-300ER Aircraft Nearly Complete With Premium Economy Refit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines flyers can rejoice, as flying on the 777-300ER (77W) just got a little more comfortable — the last 77W is headed for premium economy refurbishment as of Tuesday.
The plane, N734AR, operated its last revenue flight from London (LHR) to Dallas (DFW) on May 22, 2018, before heading to Everett (PAE) to be refit with premium economy seats. As of May 23, 2018, all 77Ws in service have a true premium economy cabin. N734AR should be back in service in 7-10 days.
Under the old configuration there were 310 seats, set up in the following arrangement:
|Main Cabin Extra||48|
After the refit, the 77W aircraft now have 304 seats, set up in the following arrangement:
|Main Cabin Extra||28|
The front of the plane has largely remained the same. The premium economy cabin is set up with eight seats across in a 2-4-2 seating arrangement. Passengers traveling in premium economy will enjoy wider seats, pre-ordered meals, complimentary alcoholic beverages, amenity kits, and Casper bedding. Each seat is about 19 inches wide between armrests, and they should feature a similar amount of pitch as the seats on the 772 (38 inches), but we’ve reached out to AA to confirm. Also on the newly reconfigured 77W, Row 16 is an exit row. Seats 16A and 16L do not have a window although they do come with virtually unlimited leg room and a physical leg rest. Check out this review of an AA premium economy experience on board the 777-200.
With this refit, American Airlines is getting closer toward its goal of refitting all of its long-haul aircraft with the new cabin. All work was originally planned to be complete by Q2 2018, but it is slightly behind schedule. There are still 12 777-200 aircraft mostly with Zodiac forward/backward seating, and 20 787-8 aircraft, also with the same Zodiac seating, that still need to be refit.
“The remaining 772s should be completed in the fall/winter timeframe,” an AA spokesperson said. “More details on the 788s will come later in the year.”
You can find the newly refit 77W operating on American Airlines’ signature routes from hubs in Los Angeles (LAX), Dallas (DFW), Miami (MIA), and New York (JFK) to destinations such as Hong Kong (HKG), London (LHR), and Sao Paulo (GRU).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees