American is giving away over 100 million miles to celebrate 40th anniversary of AAdvantage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Happy 40th anniversary to American Airlines’ AAdvantage!
First launched in 1981, AAdvantage was one of the first airline loyalty programs. Forty years and one pandemic later, American is gearing up for a (virtual) celebration.
On Monday, the carrier is launching a month-long instant-win promotion, filled with prizes and special offers designed to inspire travel. AAdvantage members can check out the promotion microsite at AAdvantage40th.com to play the game and learn more about the program.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
You can play the game multiple times per day, after completing certain activities like reading a daily fact or sharing the sweepstakes on social media.
Instant-win prizes include Admirals Club memberships and day passes, AAdvantage miles, $20 MasterCard digital gift cards, seat upgrades and other partner offers, including 20% off a Hyatt resort vacation, Hertz upgrades and many others.
You’ll find the full list of prizes, as well as sweepstakes rules in the full terms and conditions. There are a total of 1,392,040 instant-win prizes during the four-week promotion that lasts through May 3.
Each gameplay also enters you into the grand prize drawing, which will be held on or around May 4. Forty winners will receive 1,000,000 AAdvantage miles. (Interestingly, American says these miles are worth $22,400, or 2.24 cents a piece, well above the TPG valuation of 1.4 cents per AA mile.)
One second-place winner will enjoy a two-night travel package for four people to Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hill Club and Lodge in Orlando, valued at $3,500.
Most TPG staffers received 40 AAdvantage miles for entering the giveaway. While that’s worth just over 50 cents according to our valuations, it does keep your AA miles from expiring for another 18 months.
When the AAdvantage program began on May 1, 1981, membership was by invitation-only and rewards included a first-class ticket to any destination American flew. Today, the program boasts over 115 million members, with 144,000 of them active since the first year.
Around the holidays, American flyers will recall that the airline gave every member a gift. Some were disappointed that AA hyped up the promotion, but the freebies were ultimately “lacking generosity” and “little lumps of coal.” This time, the full list of prizes is public, so expectations will hopefully match reality.
Do note, however, that this promotion won’t help frequent flyers close the gap on qualifying for elite status. None of the prizes include elite qualifying miles or segments. Fingers crossed that American will launch another round of promos for travelers who need an elite boost.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.