Inside the Boeing 737 That Will Fly Your Amazon Packages Around the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We typically focus our air show efforts on bringing you tours of the latest and greatest airliners and private jets, but occasionally we like to throw an exciting cargo craft into the mix. Amazon’s Prime Air 737 certainly fits the bill.
Following more than 14 years of flying passengers around India for now-defunct Jet Airways, N855DM, a Boeing 737-800, has entered the next stage of its life as an Amazon Prime Air freighter.
The aircraft just completed a retrofit process in China, where the passenger cabin was removed and replaced with full-fuselage cargo storage, along with a huge fold-up loading door.
Following its stint at the 2019 Paris Air Show, N855DM will fly to the United States, where it will begin operating cargo flights on behalf of Amazon’s Prime Air. This will be the fourth converted 737 to enter Amazon’s fleet.
Atlas Air subsidiary Southern Air is expected to fly Amazon’s leased fleet of Boeing 737-800s. Overall, the retail giant plans to have 15 of these repurposed planes flying soon.
A Boeing representative at the show quoted a list price of $5 million to convert a 737 from passenger use to freight. That’s in addition to the cost of acquiring an aircraft, which is typically up to the new owner to sort out.
The retrofit process takes about 90 days from start to finish, though aircraft acquisition and document preparation are handled before the plane is handed over to Boeing.
The 737 conversion program is new to Boeing — the company started delivering retrofitted aircraft just a year ago, with 12 narrow-body planes having completed the process so far. Seventeen are expected to be delivered in 2019, 21 in 2020 and even more as airlines continue to retire aging 737s in the years to come.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.