Inside the Boeing 737 That Will Fly Your Amazon Packages Around the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We typically focus our air show efforts on bringing you tours of the latest and greatest airliners and private jets, but occasionally we like to throw an exciting cargo craft into the mix. Amazon’s Prime Air 737 certainly fits the bill.
Following more than 14 years of flying passengers around India for now-defunct Jet Airways, N855DM, a Boeing 737-800, has entered the next stage of its life as an Amazon Prime Air freighter.
The aircraft just completed a retrofit process in China, where the passenger cabin was removed and replaced with full-fuselage cargo storage, along with a huge fold-up loading door.
Following its stint at the 2019 Paris Air Show, N855DM will fly to the United States, where it will begin operating cargo flights on behalf of Amazon’s Prime Air. This will be the fourth converted 737 to enter Amazon’s fleet.
Atlas Air subsidiary Southern Air is expected to fly Amazon’s leased fleet of Boeing 737-800s. Overall, the retail giant plans to have 15 of these repurposed planes flying soon.
A Boeing representative at the show quoted a list price of $5 million to convert a 737 from passenger use to freight. That’s in addition to the cost of acquiring an aircraft, which is typically up to the new owner to sort out.
The retrofit process takes about 90 days from start to finish, though aircraft acquisition and document preparation are handled before the plane is handed over to Boeing.
The 737 conversion program is new to Boeing — the company started delivering retrofitted aircraft just a year ago, with 12 narrow-body planes having completed the process so far. Seventeen are expected to be delivered in 2019, 21 in 2020 and even more as airlines continue to retire aging 737s in the years to come.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees