Allegiant adds 2 new cities in 15-route expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Allegiant is adding two cities to its route map, part of 15-route expansion that will be announced Tuesday.
The budget carrier will make its biggest debut at the John Wayne Airport in Orange County California. Allegiant will begin service there on Feb. 12, when it launches the first of eight routes from the Los Angeles-area airport.
Allegiant also will add new service to Spokane, Washington — which it will begin serving on Feb. 11 with nonstop service to Las Vegas. A second route —to Orange County — begins Feb. 18.
The airline’s hometown of Las Vegas also fared well in the latest expansion update, landing a total of four new routes. In addition to the Spokane flight, Allegiant will connect the city to Asheville, North Carolina; Flint, Michigan, and Orange County.
“We’re excited to offer travelers another gateway into Southern California, as well as into the Pacific Northwest in 2021,” Drew Wells, Allegiant’s vice president of planning and revenue, said in a statement announcing the new routes. “We are continuing to expand Allegiant’s network to provide customers with even more convenient, nonstop options for any travel occasion.”
With Allegiant’s expansion to Orange County, it appears to be following the lead of other airlines that have used the pandemic to gain access to capacity-controlled airports that would have been more difficult to access during busier times.
Orange County — while not slot-restricted in the traditional sense — has an annual cap on passengers. The number of flights there can vary by year depending on airlines’ planned schedules, with access reallocated on a regular basis. With fewer passengers this year, there have been openings for new airlines to enter.
There were a few other interesting snippets from Allegiant’s latest expansion update. They include:
- Allegiant’s new route to Asheville will become its longest nonstop offering from Las Vegas, with the flight clocking in at 1,824 miles. The longest route in Allegiant’s overall network is its 1,900-mile nonstop between Los Angeles and Cincinnati. Allegiant’s current longest route from Las Vegas is to Knoxville, Tennessee (1,739 miles).
- Allegiant’s new flights from Las Vegas to Asheville and Flint, Michigan, will be overnight “red-eye” flights on the eastbound legs. While not unheard of in Allegiant’s network, they are unusual.
Elsewhere, Allegiant confirmed that it has ended service to Ogdensburg, New York, with no plans to return. The carrier had offered nonstop flights to Florida from the small airport in Upstate New York, but ended those after the U.S.-Canada border was closed during the pandemic. The airport sits just about 60 miles from Canada’s capital of Ottawa, which was the source for much of Allegiant’s traffic on the route.
Scroll down for a full list of Allegiant’s new routes, which are intended to be year-round. Flights will operate twice a week.
Orange County/John Wayne Airport, California (SNA)
Boise (BOI): Flights begin Feb. 12. Introductory fares begin at $49 one way.
Grand Junction, Colorado (GJT): Flights begin Feb. 12. Introductory fares begin at $69 one way.
Las Vegas (LAS): Flights begin Feb. 18. Introductory fares begin at $39 one way.
Medford, Oregon (MFR): Flights begin Feb. 12. Introductory fares begin at $69 one way.
Missoula, Montana (MSO): Flights begin Feb. 18. Introductory fares begin at $69 one way.
Provo, Utah (PVU): Flights begin Feb. 12. Introductory fares begin at $49 one way.
Reno, Nevada (RNO): Flights begin Feb. 18. Introductory fares begin at $39 one way.
Spokane, Washington (GEG): Flights begin Feb. 18. Introductory fares begin at $69 one way.
Las Vegas (LAS)
Asheville, North Carolina (AVL): Flights begin March 4. Introductory fares begin at $79 one way.
Flint, Michigan (FNT): Flights begin March 4. Introductory fares begin at $59 one way.
Orange County, California (SNA): Flights begin Feb. 18. Introductory fares begin at $39 one way.
Spokane, Washington (GEG): Flights begin Feb. 11. Introductory fares begin at $49 one way.
Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR)
Destin, Florida (VPS): Flights begin March 5. Introductory fares begin at $49 one way.
Newark (EWR): Flights begin March 5. Introductory fares begin at $59 one way.
Phoenix/Mesa Gateway (AZA)
Houston Hobby (HOU): Flights begin Feb. 11. Introductory fares begin at $49 one way.
St. Petersburg, Florida (PIE)
Fargo, North Dakota (FAR): Flights begin Feb. 11. Introductory fares begin at $79 one way.
Featured photo courtesy of Allegiant.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.