Good news for the first-class shower: Emirates plans to bring back all A380s by 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hope is not lost for the Emirates A380, as the airline’s President Tim Clark has optimistic plans to bring the airline’s full fleet of superjumbos back into the sky by April 2022.
“As demand returns, and given the slot availability at prime hubs, there will be a place for it,” Clark said. “I’m hoping by April 2022, all our A380s will be flying again.”
The A380 has had a tough time since the coronavirus pandemic took hold in March — so much so that doubts have been cast over the future of the aircraft. Even Emirates, the world’s largest operator of the A380, grounded all 115 aircraft.
Though some of Emirates premium perks have been reintroduced, its famed A380 onboard showers and business-class bars are still off-limits to passengers on the A380. However, there is more good news. Clark confirmed to The Times that the airline will restore the full product, quashing fears that it might never be possible to take a shower in the sky on an Emirates aircraft again. This, as other airlines around the world have opted to completely stop offering first class.
As global travel restrictions start to ease, Emirates will resume A380 operations from July 15, including on several routes to the U.K. including Heathrow (LHR) from 15 July, followed by Birmingham (BHX), Gatwick (LGW), Glasgow (GLA) and Manchester (MAN) from 1 September.
The carrier is also poised to take delivery of its first new A380 installed with its premium economy seat. In June, Clark said that the carrier’s first A380 with the new mid-tier product was “sitting in Toulouse waiting to go”.
Featured photo by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees