All Aboard to Orlando: Virgin Trains Breaks New Ground in Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Virgin Trains broke ground on the next phase of its rail project in Florida. If all goes to plan, the network will reach Disney World in Orlando by 2022.
Last year, Richard Branson acquired a stake in Brightline, the existing passenger train that serves Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. He is working on rebranding it it as Virgin Trains and promised to extend the route to Orlando and Tampa.
When the extension opens, travel time between Miami and Orlando should be about three hours, according to the South Florida Sun Sentinel. That’s around half an hour faster than driving, assuming there’s no traffic.
The Associated Press reported the extension to Orlando will involve building about 170 miles of new track between South Florida and Orlando International Airport, and will cost around $4 billion. A station serving Disney World had been announced in April, pending funding and permit approval.
Virgin Trains is also constructing a rail line between Las Vegas and southern California.
This story was updated to reflect that the current Brightline network and planned Virgin Trains expansion do not meet the technical definition of high speed rail.
Featured photo of Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson at a Virgin Trains event courtesy of Brightline.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.