All Aboard to Orlando: Virgin Trains Breaks New Ground in Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Virgin Trains broke ground on the next phase of its rail project in Florida. If all goes to plan, the network will reach Disney World in Orlando by 2022.
Last year, Richard Branson acquired a stake in Brightline, the existing passenger train that serves Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. He is working on rebranding it it as Virgin Trains and promised to extend the route to Orlando and Tampa.
When the extension opens, travel time between Miami and Orlando should be about three hours, according to the South Florida Sun Sentinel. That’s around half an hour faster than driving, assuming there’s no traffic.
The Associated Press reported the extension to Orlando will involve building about 170 miles of new track between South Florida and Orlando International Airport, and will cost around $4 billion. A station serving Disney World had been announced in April, pending funding and permit approval.
Virgin Trains is also constructing a rail line between Las Vegas and southern California.
This story was updated to reflect that the current Brightline network and planned Virgin Trains expansion do not meet the technical definition of high speed rail.
Featured photo of Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson at a Virgin Trains event courtesy of Brightline.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.