Alaska Airlines makes it even easier for elites to requalify for 2022 status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the exception of Delta, most U.S. carriers will not be outright extending elite status for another year like they did in 2020. However, some are still offering partial extensions and fast-track opportunities that make requalifying for status easier.
Throughout 2021, Alaska Airlines has been following reduced qualification thresholds and awarding bonus elite-qualifying miles on all Alaska Airlines-operated flights. In September, the airline announced that it would further help elites requalify for status, but details were light. We only knew that 2021 status will be extended through April 2022 and that there will be an opportunity to requalify by flying a minimum number of miles in the first quarter of 2022.
Well, Alaska just revealed details on how this will all work exactly, and here’s what you can expect.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Alaska’s new opportunity to requalify for status
Any current elite who doesn’t requalify for status will automatically have their status extended through April 30, 2022. They’ll then be able to extend their status through Dec. 31, 2022, by earning the following number of base flight miles between Jan. 1 and April 30, 2022:
- MVP members: 5,000 miles (MVP is normally earned with 20,000 elite-qualifying miles or 30 segments in a calendar year)
- MVP Gold members: 10,000 miles (normally earned with 40,000 elite-qualifying miles or 60 segments in a calendar)
- MVP Gold 75K members: 20,000 miles (normally earned with 75,000 elite-qualifying miles or 90 segments in a calendar year)
Just to give you an idea, a nonstop flight from San Francisco (SFO) to New York-JFK is 2,586 miles. In turn, you only need one round-trip cross-country itinerary to requalify for MVP status, or four of these trips to retain MVP Gold 75K status. Of course, you can earn more miles faster by tagging on connecting flights or booking first class fares.
You’ll always earn a minimum of 100% of the miles flown on Alaska, even in basic economy. But when you book first class, you can get a 50% to 75% bonus.
There’s no registration required to participate in this offer. Just note that this may not be used to achieve a higher status than the one held on Jan. 1, 2021. Further, a minimum of two segments must be flown on Alaska-marketed and operated flights.
If you requalify through this fast track, it will be almost as if you earned your status “the hard way.” Alaska Gold Guest Upgrades, lounge day passes, and MVP Gold 75K MVP nominations will be awarded after meeting the requirements for the respective elite status levels. However, those that requalify for MVP Gold 75K status through this offer will not receive the 50,000 bonus miles normally associated with qualifying for this tier.
For more on elite status extensions and shortcuts to requalify, see this guide.
Featured photo by Sundry Photography/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees