Alaska Airlines Brings Virtual Reality to the Skies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines proves yet again that it’s ahead of the curve. Starting Monday, September 24, first-class passengers on select routes can experience their very own virtual reality experience on board their flight.
In collaboration with SkyLight, an American-French company that specializes in “immersive in-flight entertainment,” Alaska is now offering first-class passengers on some routes the opportunity to use new VR technology. The Allosky headset features HD resolution, bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities and a “sleek, lightweight design.”
“Alaska Airlines is excited to be the first airline in North America to trial virtual reality headsets as an inflight entertainment device,” said Brett Catlin, Alaska Airlines’ managing director of guest products. “We’re thrilled to partner with innovative companies like Skylights that share our desire to enhance the guest experience.”
For launch, the headset will be offered exclusively on board Alaskan-operated flights between Seattle (SEA) and Boston (BOS) and Boston (BOS) to San Diego (SAN). Passengers have a choice between both 2D and 3D viewing experiences, as the headset will provide “forward-facing 360° content” designed to capture the feeling of sitting a private movie theater despite being thousands of feet in the air.
Some films offered via the Allosky headset include “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” “Ready Player One” (which passengers can experience in digital 3D) and “Ferdinand.” Short VR films will be including subjects such as freediving, classical music and acrobatics.
Originally presented at the 2017 APEX Expo, the headset has since been deployed commercially in Europe via Air France’s “millennial-targeted” subsidiary, Joon. VR headsets are offered in business class on long-haul Joon flights.
Featured Image by Rosdiana Ciaravolo via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees