Alaska Airlines Brings Virtual Reality to the Skies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines proves yet again that it’s ahead of the curve. Starting Monday, September 24, first-class passengers on select routes can experience their very own virtual reality experience on board their flight.
In collaboration with SkyLight, an American-French company that specializes in “immersive in-flight entertainment,” Alaska is now offering first-class passengers on some routes the opportunity to use new VR technology. The Allosky headset features HD resolution, bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities and a “sleek, lightweight design.”
“Alaska Airlines is excited to be the first airline in North America to trial virtual reality headsets as an inflight entertainment device,” said Brett Catlin, Alaska Airlines’ managing director of guest products. “We’re thrilled to partner with innovative companies like Skylights that share our desire to enhance the guest experience.”
For launch, the headset will be offered exclusively on board Alaskan-operated flights between Seattle (SEA) and Boston (BOS) and Boston (BOS) to San Diego (SAN). Passengers have a choice between both 2D and 3D viewing experiences, as the headset will provide “forward-facing 360° content” designed to capture the feeling of sitting a private movie theater despite being thousands of feet in the air.
Some films offered via the Allosky headset include “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” “Ready Player One” (which passengers can experience in digital 3D) and “Ferdinand.” Short VR films will be including subjects such as freediving, classical music and acrobatics.
Originally presented at the 2017 APEX Expo, the headset has since been deployed commercially in Europe via Air France’s “millennial-targeted” subsidiary, Joon. VR headsets are offered in business class on long-haul Joon flights.
Featured Image by Rosdiana Ciaravolo via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.