This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines proves yet again that it’s ahead of the curve. Starting Monday, September 24, first-class passengers on select routes can experience their very own virtual reality experience on board their flight.
In collaboration with SkyLight, an American-French company that specializes in “immersive in-flight entertainment,” Alaska is now offering first-class passengers on some routes the opportunity to use new VR technology. The Allosky headset features HD resolution, bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities and a “sleek, lightweight design.”
“Alaska Airlines is excited to be the first airline in North America to trial virtual reality headsets as an inflight entertainment device,” said Brett Catlin, Alaska Airlines’ managing director of guest products. “We’re thrilled to partner with innovative companies like Skylights that share our desire to enhance the guest experience.”
For launch, the headset will be offered exclusively on board Alaskan-operated flights between Seattle (SEA) and Boston (BOS) and Boston (BOS) to San Diego (SAN). Passengers have a choice between both 2D and 3D viewing experiences, as the headset will provide “forward-facing 360° content” designed to capture the feeling of sitting a private movie theater despite being thousands of feet in the air.
Some films offered via the Allosky headset include “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” “Ready Player One” (which passengers can experience in digital 3D) and “Ferdinand.” Short VR films will be including subjects such as freediving, classical music and acrobatics.
Originally presented at the 2017 APEX Expo, the headset has since been deployed commercially in Europe via Air France’s “millennial-targeted” subsidiary, Joon. VR headsets are offered in business class on long-haul Joon flights.
Featured Image by Rosdiana Ciaravolo via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards