This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
And the winner of the Best Inflight Connectivity Innovation award is… definitely the kind of topic that AvGeeks will appreciate. This and a dozen other awards were presented on Monday night at the Airline Passenger Experience Association APEX Awards in Long Beach, California.
For those not familiar with it, APEX is the only non-profit trade organization in the airline industry. It comprises some of the world’s top airlines, industry suppliers, major media groups and aviation industry leaders. Its aim: to elevate the passenger experience while moving the industry forward with new initiatives and regulations.
How do the awards work? Each category was judged by nearly 30 APEX members in the first round in order to select three finalists. Then, a final round of judging was completed with a live judging panel composed of industry media experts. And the host at the event this year? None other than TPG himself.
Here are the winners of the 2017 APEX Awards:
Best Cabin Innovation — Airbus Operations, ReTrolley
Best Inflight Connectivity Innovation — Inmarsat Aviation & Deutsche Telekom AG, European Aviation Network
Best Inflight Entertainment Innovation — IAG, Black Swan & Massive, LEVEL Portal
Best Original Audio — Air New Zealand
Best Original Video — Emirates Product Video
Best Passenger Comfort Innovation — Airspace Single Aisle Interior
Best Personalization Innovation — SITAONAIR
Best Video Curation — Virgin Australia’s IFE
In addition to the APEX Award winners above, APEX also honored a few other categories with its Passenger Choice Awards — tallied from passenger-submitted data on the Tripit app. APEX awards these awards in five categories.
Here are the winners of the 2017 Passenger Choice Awards:
Best Wi-Fi — JetBlue
Best Entertainment — Emirates
Best Cabin Service — Qatar Airways
Best Seat Comfort — Virgin America
Best Food & Beverage — Qatar Airways
Congratulations to the winners of the 2017 APEX Awards.
Featured image from the 2016 awards by APEX.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees