Alaska Airlines sets new date for full Oneworld membership
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines has a new date for when it will be a full fledged member of the Oneworld alliance: March 31, 2021.
The date is about three months later than executives planned when the Seattle-based carrier was officially invited to join the alliance in July. However, it is on par with the “sometime late Q1” timeline that was disclosed in September.
One thing that has not changed are the benefits Oneworld membership will bring to Alaska frequent flyers. They will still be able to earn and burn miles across the alliance’s 13 member carriers, use lounges around the world and have access to more than 1,000 destinations across the alliance map.
In addition, frequent flyers on other Oneworld members will have access to Alaska’s network and lounges. This includes the new flagship lounge that the airline opened at its Seattle/Tacoma International Airport (SEA) base in 2019.
“We are officially joining a family with some of the best airlines in the world,” Nathaniel Pieper, senior vice president of fleet, finances and alliances at Alaska, said in a statement on Oct. 12. “The possibilities are tremendous.”
Alaska’s Oneworld membership is part and parcel with an expanded codeshare arrangement with American Airlines. The carriers have expanded the number of flights carrying each airline’s code from West Coast hubs, including Los Angeles (LAX) and Seattle. At the same time, American plans to begin new international service between Alaska’s Seattle home and London Heathrow (LHR), Bangalore (BLR) and Shanghai Pudong (PVG) in 2021.
The codeshare expansion includes several of Alaska’s new routes from LAX — to Boise (BOI), Missoula (MSO) and Spokane (GEG) — that it launched in 2020, according to Cirium schedule data.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees