Alaska Airlines delays full Oneworld membership to early 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Seattle-based carrier hopes to complete the joining process by “sometime late Q1” — or first quarter — Alaska president Ben Minicucci said at the Cowen Global Transportation & Sustainable Mobility Conference on Wednesday. As recently as July, Alaska hoped to be a full alliance member by year-end.
The delay means Alaska frequent flyers will have to wait a little bit longer before they can receive Oneworld benefits. Those include earning and redeeming miles, and receiving reciprocal elite status benefits across the alliance’s 14 member carriers.
Alaska’s case for joining Oneworld stands. The airline is betting that it can better sell a global travel portfolio to corporations along the West Coast — particularly in and around its Seattle base — as an alliance member rather than as an independent airline with a smattering of partnerships around the world.
As part of that bet on global relevance, Alaska has renewed its partnership with American Airlines. American has since unveiled plans to add flights to Bangalore (BLR), London Heathrow (LHR) and Shanghai Pudong (PVG) from Seattle. The airlines are codesharing on the international routes as well as on select domestic routes that touch the West Coast.
One of the challenges Alaska faces joining Oneworld is turning on all of necessary technology connections with the alliance, said Minicucci. He suggested that this, and other integration steps, are taking longer than initially thought.
However, even with the several-month delay, Alaska is still on track to join the alliance faster than it originally hoped. The airline’s membership target was “mid-2021” when it first unveiled plans to join Oneworld in February.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.