Alaska Airlines is set to join Oneworld today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The word that Alaska would officially join the alliance came last July, just five months after Alaska and American launched a new codeshare and frequent flyer agreement dubbed the “West Coast international alliance.”
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Under the original partnership, America and Alaska expanded their existing codeshare agreement to cover more routes, and allowed reciprocal frequent flyer benefits, as well as mileage earning and redemption.
With Alaska becoming a full member of Oneworld, the codeshare will expand to include other alliance members, such as British Airways, Iberia, and Qatar, although benefits will be rolled out in phases through this summer.
“The big guys have consolidated big-time and we were not going to be in both SkyTeam and Oneworld, or have … access,” outgoing Alaska Airlines CEO Brad Tilden said in an interview with TPG in mid-March. “The dynamics in the industry made it clear that that wasn’t going happen. So the right answer for us became that we needed to join a global alliance.”
The alliance and the airline will hold a joint virtual event at 1 p.m. ET to celebrate Alaska’s induction. TPG will be in attendance, so be sure to check back for more, including what you need to know in order to take advantage of the new arrangement.
Featured photo by Philip Pilosian/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees