Alaska Airlines is set to join Oneworld today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The word that Alaska would officially join the alliance came last July, just five months after Alaska and American launched a new codeshare and frequent flyer agreement dubbed the “West Coast international alliance.”
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Under the original partnership, America and Alaska expanded their existing codeshare agreement to cover more routes, and allowed reciprocal frequent flyer benefits, as well as mileage earning and redemption.
With Alaska becoming a full member of Oneworld, the codeshare will expand to include other alliance members, such as British Airways, Iberia, and Qatar, although benefits will be rolled out in phases through this summer.
“The big guys have consolidated big-time and we were not going to be in both SkyTeam and Oneworld, or have … access,” outgoing Alaska Airlines CEO Brad Tilden said in an interview with TPG in mid-March. “The dynamics in the industry made it clear that that wasn’t going happen. So the right answer for us became that we needed to join a global alliance.”
The alliance and the airline will hold a joint virtual event at 1 p.m. ET to celebrate Alaska’s induction. TPG will be in attendance, so be sure to check back for more, including what you need to know in order to take advantage of the new arrangement.
Featured photo by Philip Pilosian/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.