Airline alliances call for government support amid coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Oneworld, SkyTeam and Star Alliance — the three airline alliances — are calling on governments worldwide to “alleviate the unprecedented challenges” faced by the COVID-19 outbreak.
“The human and financial impact that the COVID-19 outbreak is having on the aviation industry is unprecedented,” SkyTeam CEO and Managing Director Kristin Colvile said in the statement.
“SkyTeam, with its alliance partners, and on behalf of member airlines, is urging all involved institutions and industry stakeholders to face these extraordinary times with exceptional measures. This includes action such as slot relief, airport and overflight fees reduction,” she added
Related reading: These are the global coronavirus travel restrictions by country
The three alliances represent 60 of the world’s largest airlines, including Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and American Airlines in the U.S. The alliances released a joint statement on March 16 asking regulators to suspend slot usage rules for the northern summer 2020 season, as the airlines cut back in service due to coronavirus. In 2003, regulators relaxed the slot rules during the SARS outbreak as well as in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
The European Commission on March 10 agreed to suspend strict requirements regarding airport slots in the light of the coronavirus outbreak. However, the commissioner did not specify for how long the “use-it-or-lose-it” rule would be suspended. The statement praises regulators who have acted, but “urge others to follow suit promptly,” and requested that regulators consider extending the suspensions for the entire operating season.
Related reading: United to extend coronavirus-related capacity cuts into summer
Already United announced that it will slash capacity this spring, with cuts likely to extend into summer. American announced on March 14 that it planned to reduce international capacity by 75% year over year, from March 16 to May 6 and would suspend all remaining flights to Asia, except for three flights per week from Dallas (DFW) to Tokyo (NRT). Delta is cutting global capacity by at least 15% following a drop of more than a quarter in bookings worldwide
IATA has estimated up to $ 113 billion in revenue losses for global passenger airlines, the alliances said in the statement, but noted that figure didn’t include travel bans put in place by the U.S. and other countries. The United States last week announced that a ban on travel from Europe, including to the United Kingdom and Ireland. Denmark announced over the weekend that it would close its borders to foreigners for a month while Qatar announced it would also stop all commercial flights into Doha Airport (DOH) starting for two weeks.
Related reading: Coronavirus: Latest news and advice
Featured image courtesy of Zach Griff / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees