Airbus Wants to Rename the Bombardier C Series Program ‘A200’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now that Airbus is in the final stages of owning a majority stake of the Bombardier C Series program, it’s planning to cap off the purchase with a rebranding. People familiar with the plan told Bloomberg News that Airbus is considering renaming the program, in which it’s invested more than $6 billion, “A200.” If the plan to rebrand the C Series does go through, the program’s jets will become just more Airbus aircraft.
According to people familiar with the plan who asked not to be identified, the designations of A210 and A230 would potentially be applied to the CS100 and CS300 variants, respectively. The new name would scrap the C Series’ 14-year-old branding.
So, why is Airbus looking to rebrand an already launched program? The people familiar with what’s going on said that changing the C Series program into an A200 family, slotting it just below the A320 family, would help reassure potential buyers about Airbus’ long-term future. Once the final purchase of controlling stakes closes, we could see the rebranding take place — possibly before the Farnborough Air Show in July.
Prior to Airbus’ announcement of acquiring part of the C Series program, it had not been a commercial success, as it had struggled to attract orders. The ongoing situation caused backlash from Boeing, which cried that the program had received illegal aid, urging the US to impose duties. However, the tariffs were later blocked by a US trade panel.
As of December 31, 2017, the C Series has 348 firm orders in place, excluding a deal that was made in November, ending an 18-month sales drought. Since the Airbus accord was announced, Bombardier CEO Alain Bellemare said that customer interest in the C Series has increased exponentially.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees