Airbus Building Two New Facilities to Ramp up A220 Production
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The aircraft known as the A220 didn’t get to where it is today without a little drama. We’ll spare you the details on how the Bombardier C Series eventually became the Airbus A220 and jump straight to the present: Things are finally getting serious when it comes to manufacturing and delivery.
With orders placed by Delta, JetBlue, Air Canada and up-and-comer Moxy, Airbus is breaking ground on “two new buildings in Mirabel, Quebec that will enable the company to boost production of A220s.” This is in addition to the Alabama facility that’s set to get underway in 2019.
Per FlightGlobal, Airbus has “started construction work for two new dome structures which will be ready around spring 2019.” The two domes will reportedly “create additional capacity for the final assembly process.”
Completion on those can’t come soon enough, as Bombardier and Airbus have combined to deliver less than 50 units in the past two years. I toured the very first one finalized for Delta just a week ago, which will begin passenger service on Jan. 31, 2019.
In my discussions with the airline, I learned that Delta is very serious about injecting these into its route network in a timely manner, not to mention the other North American carriers with standing orders, hence the urgency in ramping up production.
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees