Airbus Building Two New Facilities to Ramp up A220 Production
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The aircraft known as the A220 didn’t get to where it is today without a little drama. We’ll spare you the details on how the Bombardier C Series eventually became the Airbus A220 and jump straight to the present: Things are finally getting serious when it comes to manufacturing and delivery.
With orders placed by Delta, JetBlue, Air Canada and up-and-comer Moxy, Airbus is breaking ground on “two new buildings in Mirabel, Quebec that will enable the company to boost production of A220s.” This is in addition to the Alabama facility that’s set to get underway in 2019.
Per FlightGlobal, Airbus has “started construction work for two new dome structures which will be ready around spring 2019.” The two domes will reportedly “create additional capacity for the final assembly process.”
Completion on those can’t come soon enough, as Bombardier and Airbus have combined to deliver less than 50 units in the past two years. I toured the very first one finalized for Delta just a week ago, which will begin passenger service on Jan. 31, 2019.
In my discussions with the airline, I learned that Delta is very serious about injecting these into its route network in a timely manner, not to mention the other North American carriers with standing orders, hence the urgency in ramping up production.
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.