Airbnb Is Giving Free Lodging to Hurricane Florence Evacuees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the threat of Hurricane Florence looming over 5.4 million residents, Airbnb hosts are opening their homes free of charge to those displaced by the storm and disaster relief workers.
The temporary program, “Open Homes,” has already been enacted in Virginia, Georgia and North and South Carolina, with Airbnb hosts offering free stays until Oct. 1. These accommodations will be under a “zero dollar listing,” with all state and local taxes waived for the time being. According to Airbnb.com, more than 300 community members have already volunteered their homes.
Airbnb, an online hospitality service in which renters vend personal properties and or rooms to guests, originally launched the “Open Homes” program back in 2012. After Hurricane Sandy left New York residents displaced, approximately 1,000 renters opened their homes to evacuees. According to Airbnb, the program has since housed more than 11,000 displaced people from natural disasters, conflict or illness.
To encourage renters to participate in the program, Airbnb has reached out to hosts in Atlanta, Augusta, Charlotte, Greensboro, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg and Charlottesville. In order to volunteer your property or search for lodging, visit Airbnb’s website to learn more.
Featured image by NASA via AP.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees