This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the threat of Hurricane Florence looming over 5.4 million residents, Airbnb hosts are opening their homes free of charge to those displaced by the storm and disaster relief workers.
The temporary program, “Open Homes,” has already been enacted in Virginia, Georgia and North and South Carolina, with Airbnb hosts offering free stays until Oct. 1. These accommodations will be under a “zero dollar listing,” with all state and local taxes waived for the time being. According to Airbnb.com, more than 300 community members have already volunteered their homes.
Airbnb, an online hospitality service in which renters vend personal properties and or rooms to guests, originally launched the “Open Homes” program back in 2012. After Hurricane Sandy left New York residents displaced, approximately 1,000 renters opened their homes to evacuees. According to Airbnb, the program has since housed more than 11,000 displaced people from natural disasters, conflict or illness.
To encourage renters to participate in the program, Airbnb has reached out to hosts in Atlanta, Augusta, Charlotte, Greensboro, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg and Charlottesville. In order to volunteer your property or search for lodging, visit Airbnb’s website to learn more.
Featured image by NASA via AP.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards