Airbnb Is Giving Free Lodging to Hurricane Florence Evacuees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the threat of Hurricane Florence looming over 5.4 million residents, Airbnb hosts are opening their homes free of charge to those displaced by the storm and disaster relief workers.
The temporary program, “Open Homes,” has already been enacted in Virginia, Georgia and North and South Carolina, with Airbnb hosts offering free stays until Oct. 1. These accommodations will be under a “zero dollar listing,” with all state and local taxes waived for the time being. According to Airbnb.com, more than 300 community members have already volunteered their homes.
Airbnb, an online hospitality service in which renters vend personal properties and or rooms to guests, originally launched the “Open Homes” program back in 2012. After Hurricane Sandy left New York residents displaced, approximately 1,000 renters opened their homes to evacuees. According to Airbnb, the program has since housed more than 11,000 displaced people from natural disasters, conflict or illness.
To encourage renters to participate in the program, Airbnb has reached out to hosts in Atlanta, Augusta, Charlotte, Greensboro, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg and Charlottesville. In order to volunteer your property or search for lodging, visit Airbnb’s website to learn more.
Featured image by NASA via AP.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.