Airbnb Hosts Are Offering Free Shelter to Hurricane Michael Refugees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From tropical storm to devastating Category 4, Hurricane Michael has been causing destruction since its landfall in the Florida Panhandle. With the number of relief workers and people left displaced due to the severe conditions, Airbnb has reinstated its Open Homes program to those in need of shelter.
The program allows hosts to list properties for $0 on the Airbnb website in designated locations for a temporary period. For Hurricane Michael, the dates in which the free shelter is available are from Oct. 8 to Oct. 29, 2018. So far, more than 360 hosts have volunteered to open their homes to relief worked and displaced neighbors in need.
In September, Airbnb initiated the Open Homes program to help those displaced by Hurricane Florence. The program has been around since 2012, when Hurricane Sandy left people in the surrounding metropolitan areas displaced and in need of shelter. Luckily, more than 1,000 hosts stepped up. Since then, Airbnb’s Open Homes, in collaboration with its hosts, have been housing and helping refugees all over the world.
“Often people believe it will not happen to them,” said Kellie Bentz, senior manager of disaster response & relief at Open Homes. “Thinking through personal, family and business response plans are critical to being more prepared and resilient should something happen.”
The free shelters are currently available in the Florida Panhandle/Alabama area and major cities such as Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa.
If you’re in these affected areas and looking to volunteer your home on Airbnb, all you have to do is sign up for Airbnb, list your home and sign up your property here to get the $0 listing. If you’re one of those in need of a place to stay, available homes can be found here.
Featured image by Sean Rayford via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.