This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Airbnb launched what was possibly its most enticing giveaway yet: a stay atop the Great Wall of China. Now, six days later, it’s announced that the contest is off.
The vacation rental company had partnered with the Beijing Tourism Development Committee to send four winners and their guests to spend a night atop the Great Wall, hoping to promote sustainable tourism to China. This would have made the winners the first people in thousands of years to spend a night atop the 13,000-mile-long wonder of the world. However, it immediately received criticism on social media, raising concerns that the contest could cause damage to the wall and that using a historical monument for overnight stays might not even be legal.
“We deeply respect the feedback we have received,” Airbnb said in a statement. “We have made the decision to not move forward with this event.”
The company says that it remains committed to its goal of promoting sustainable tourism in China and “will be working closely with our hosts and guests in China as well as community leaders to highlight the culture and history that make China one of the most dynamic destinations in the world.”
Featured image courtesy of Airbnb.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards