Airbnb Cancels Contest for Overnight Stay at the Great Wall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Airbnb launched what was possibly its most enticing giveaway yet: a stay atop the Great Wall of China. Now, six days later, it’s announced that the contest is off.
The vacation rental company had partnered with the Beijing Tourism Development Committee to send four winners and their guests to spend a night atop the Great Wall, hoping to promote sustainable tourism to China. This would have made the winners the first people in thousands of years to spend a night atop the 13,000-mile-long wonder of the world. However, it immediately received criticism on social media, raising concerns that the contest could cause damage to the wall and that using a historical monument for overnight stays might not even be legal.
“We deeply respect the feedback we have received,” Airbnb said in a statement. “We have made the decision to not move forward with this event.”
The company says that it remains committed to its goal of promoting sustainable tourism in China and “will be working closely with our hosts and guests in China as well as community leaders to highlight the culture and history that make China one of the most dynamic destinations in the world.”
Featured image courtesy of Airbnb.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee