Airbnb will block some July 4 bookings to prevent house parties
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you want to book Airbnb for an Independence Day getaway, you better hope your user history is in order.
The company is continuing its crackdown on house parties by blocking guests “without a history of positive reviews on Airbnb” from making single-night reservations for homes in the United States during July 4 weekend.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
The move is part of Airbnb’s just-announced eight-point plan, called Summer of Responsible Travel. Among the plan’s key initiatives is continuing its ban on house parties, which began last year in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.
Airbnb also says it has increased staffing on its 24-hour Neighborhood Support hotline by more than 50% to help neighbors report any issues that come up. Staffers who speak Spanish are also being added. Airbnb also is providing discounts for noise-detection devices for hosts to install at their homes — hosts who use these devices must disclose them in listings.
The company explained that its rules implementations are because health experts still advise against having large get-togethers or parties during the ongoing pandemic. While bookers with a history of negative reviews will be blocked from one-night holiday weekend bookings, guests who have a history of positive reviews on Airbnb or who already booked their one-night reservation will not be subject to the new restriction.
Another element the company is adding is putting greater emphasis on its House Rules. They will now be listed more prominently in listings. According to Airbnb’s statement, “This helps communicate those important rules loud and clear while aligning expectations between Hosts and guests to try to ensure respectful treatment of properties and neighbors during stays.”
Despite the restrictions, Airbnb is expecting a summer rental boom as travelers resume taking vacations as more people get vaccinated.
Featured photo by SOPA Images/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees