Breaking: Airbnb and HotelTonight to block and cancel all Washington, DC bookings during inauguration
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect that HotelTonight has also canceled all reservations.
Airbnb and its subsidiary HotelTonight will not allow those hoping to attend the inauguration in the Washington, D.C. metro area to use its services. The home-sharing service announced on Wednesday that in light of official guidance, it will cancel all existing reservations and prevent any new reservations in the Washington, D.C. metro area around the Jan. 20 inauguration date.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
“In response to various local, state and federal officials asking people not to travel to Washington, D.C., we are announcing that Airbnb will cancel reservations in the Washington, D.C. metro area during the Inauguration week,” Airbnb said in a statement. “Additionally, we will prevent any new reservations in the Washington, D.C. area from being booked during that time by blocking such reservations.”
Airbnb will refund those who had bookings in full. In addition, it said that it will reimburse hosts who had stays booked during the inauguration period.
The move follows growing concern from authorities about the safety of the inauguration event after a violent mob stormed the United States Capitol on Jan. 6. The FBI has warned that more attacks are planned.
Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser, as well as Maryland Governor Larry Hogan and Virginia Governor Ralph Northam have told visitors that they should not travel to the D.C. Metro area for the inauguration.
More than 10,000 National Guard troops will be deployed to the capital for the inauguration, with 5,000 more available, if needed.
With its announcement on Wednesday, Airbnb also said that it’s investigated whether individuals who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 have Airbnb accounts.
“Through this work, we have identified numerous individuals who are either associated with known hate groups or otherwise involved in the criminal activity at the Capitol Building, and they have been banned from Airbnb’s platform,” Airbnb said.
Airbnb has also clarified that there will be some exemptions for long-term stays and medical hardships.
On Tuesday, a number of travel brands — from Marriott to Hilton and Airbnb — condemned the violence at the Capitol. For Marriott, that also meant that it would be “pausing” donations of Republican members who voted against certifying the election — without saying when the donations would resume.
Featured photo by Anadolu Agency/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees