North Korean State Airline Eyes International Expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Koryo, the national flag carrier of North Korea, is planning international route expansion amid the country’s ongoing thaw in diplomatic relations.
The state-owned airline wants to launch a new charter flight from Pyongyang (FNJ) to Chengdu (CTU), one of the biggest cities in Western China, Reuters reports. According to its website, Air Koryo currently operates flights from Pyongyang (FNJ) to Beijing (PEK), Shenyang (SHE) and Vladivostok (VVO). Check out this TPG review of an economy flight on Air Koryo.
Officials told Reuters that the flights could start as soon as late June, pending approval from China’s aviation regulator. Neighboring China has always been North Korea’s closest ally, although international fallout over North Korea’s nuclear program complicated the relationship. But following two meetings between Chinese President Xi Jinping and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, the relationship looks to be on the mend.
China was previously one of the only countries that flew into North Korea (Air China’s PEK to FNJ route), but that flight was canceled in November 2017 due to lack of demand.
About fourth-fifths of all North Korean tourists are from China, according to numbers from the Korea Maritime Institute.
Featured image by Yuri SmityukTASS via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.