Air China Cuts Off North Korea
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The only non-North Korean airline to serve the hermit kingdom has ended its service to the country. As reported by Airlineroute, Air China operated its last flight between Beijing (PEK) and Pyongyang (FNJ) on November 20.
State-owned Air China said that its decision to end the route had to do with the route not being profitable for the airline. According to ABC News, an employee of the airline’s press office said that flights were “temporarily suspended due to unsatisfactory business operations.”
With Air China no longer a player in the North Korean market, the state-owned Air Koryo is now the only commercial airline with regularly scheduled service to the isolated country.
Air China launched its PEK-FNJ route in 2008. In recent months, the carrier has scaled back from daily service to just two weekly flights. At the time of the cutbacks earlier this year, Air China also cited lack of demand. According to the Air China employee, it’s not clear if or when service on the route might resume.
In addition, at this point it’s not yet known if Air Koryo will be able to continue to operate its routes to China — Beijing, Shanghai, Shenyang and Dandong. It’s only non-Chinese destination is Vladivostok in Russia.
As of September 1, 2017, the US banned its citizens from entering the isolated country. Effective that date, US passports were invalidated for travel into, in or through North Korea. In order to visit the country, Americans wishin to visit must obtain a special validation passport.
Featured image by Zhang Peng / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.