Air China Cuts Off North Korea
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The only non-North Korean airline to serve the hermit kingdom has ended its service to the country. As reported by Airlineroute, Air China operated its last flight between Beijing (PEK) and Pyongyang (FNJ) on November 20.
State-owned Air China said that its decision to end the route had to do with the route not being profitable for the airline. According to ABC News, an employee of the airline’s press office said that flights were “temporarily suspended due to unsatisfactory business operations.”
With Air China no longer a player in the North Korean market, the state-owned Air Koryo is now the only commercial airline with regularly scheduled service to the isolated country.
Air China launched its PEK-FNJ route in 2008. In recent months, the carrier has scaled back from daily service to just two weekly flights. At the time of the cutbacks earlier this year, Air China also cited lack of demand. According to the Air China employee, it’s not clear if or when service on the route might resume.
In addition, at this point it’s not yet known if Air Koryo will be able to continue to operate its routes to China — Beijing, Shanghai, Shenyang and Dandong. It’s only non-Chinese destination is Vladivostok in Russia.
As of September 1, 2017, the US banned its citizens from entering the isolated country. Effective that date, US passports were invalidated for travel into, in or through North Korea. In order to visit the country, Americans wishin to visit must obtain a special validation passport.
Featured image by Zhang Peng / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees