Air Italy Launching Service to Los Angeles and San Francisco
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Come April 2019, two West Coast cities will be getting new year-round service to Milan (MXP), thanks to Air Italy’s new flights to Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). Currently, Los Angeles has nonstop service to Rome (FCO) on both Alitalia and Norwegian, but this new Milan nonstop will be the only connection between Italy and SFO.
Both new flights will be operated by Air Italy’s A330-200s — while the aircraft I flew between MXP and New York had angle-flat seats, the version serving these two new destinations reportedly offers 24 lie-flat seats in business class, in addition to 228 seats in economy.
Air Italy currently flies between Milan and Miami (MIA) and New York (JFK) — these new California routes will almost double the carrier’s potential US market. New York service is daily, while Miami gets five weekly flights to the airline’s Italian hub.
Both LA and SFO will have four weekly flights, with Milan-LAX service launching on April 3, 2019, and Milan-SFO starting one week later, on April 10. Flights from LA to Milan will operate every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, while SF flights will be available on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday.
Flights will reportedly be timed to facilitate connections to Air Italy’s domestic destinations, including Rome (FCO), Naples (NAP), Palermo (PMO), Catania (CTA) and Lamezia Terme (SUF). The airline operates flights to Bangkok (BKK), Delhi (DEL) and Mumbai (BOM), plus airports in other European countries as well.
Air Italy has confirmed that you should be able to book these new flights tomorrow. While the airline hasn’t detailed paid fares, it’s worth noting that you can book Air Italy flights using British Airways Avios — we’ll need to wait until LA and SFO flights are loaded to price them out, but a one-way business-class flight between New York and Milan will set you back 75,000 miles plus about $200.
For more on Air Italy, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees