Air Italy Launching Service to Los Angeles and San Francisco
Come April 2019, two West Coast cities will be getting new year-round service to Milan (MXP), thanks to Air Italy’s new flights to Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). Currently, Los Angeles has nonstop service to Rome (FCO) on both Alitalia and Norwegian, but this new Milan nonstop will be the only connection between Italy and SFO.
Both new flights will be operated by Air Italy’s A330-200s — while the aircraft I flew between MXP and New York had angle-flat seats, the version serving these two new destinations reportedly offers 24 lie-flat seats in business class, in addition to 228 seats in economy.
Air Italy currently flies between Milan and Miami (MIA) and New York (JFK) — these new California routes will almost double the carrier’s potential US market. New York service is daily, while Miami gets five weekly flights to the airline’s Italian hub.
Both LA and SFO will have four weekly flights, with Milan-LAX service launching on April 3, 2019, and Milan-SFO starting one week later, on April 10. Flights from LA to Milan will operate every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, while SF flights will be available on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday.
Flights will reportedly be timed to facilitate connections to Air Italy’s domestic destinations, including Rome (FCO), Naples (NAP), Palermo (PMO), Catania (CTA) and Lamezia Terme (SUF). The airline operates flights to Bangkok (BKK), Delhi (DEL) and Mumbai (BOM), plus airports in other European countries as well.
Air Italy has confirmed that you should be able to book these new flights tomorrow. While the airline hasn’t detailed paid fares, it’s worth noting that you can book Air Italy flights using British Airways Avios — we’ll need to wait until LA and SFO flights are loaded to price them out, but a one-way business-class flight between New York and Milan will set you back 75,000 miles plus about $200.
For more on Air Italy, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.