Air France Wants to Eliminate 210 Million Single-Use Plastic Items by the End of 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France says it will eliminate single-use plastic items from its flights, hopping on the green bandwagon with other airlines and hotel brands that have enacted their own environmentally-friendly practices in recent months.
Air France says it has been making strides to be a greener airline since 2015, when it stopped supplying plastic drinking straws on board — according to a press release. Now, as a part of a new initiative (named #AFTakesCare) to further reduce its carbon footprint, Air France replaced a majority of its single-use plastic items with products made from bio-based materials on a flight from Paris to Detroit on June 5.
The airline plans on continuing to expand this program by phasing out 1,300 tons of single-use plastic. By the end of 2019, the carrier says that will add up to the elimination 210 million single-use plastic items. That includes replacing of 100 million plastic cups, 85 million plastic cutlery items and 25 million plastic stirring sticks. Air France had also replaced its plate and cutlery sets used for the second meal service on long-haul flights with eco-friendly “BON APPETIT” bags.
It also just so happens that very Paris-to-Detroit flight is operated by Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner — which required 20% less fuel consumption than older aircraft and a lesser noise footprint, the airline claims in its statement. Air France plans on training pilots to “optimize” the flight path aboard the Dreamliner to adapt to weather conditions and the weight of the aircraft. The new, “eco-piloting” practices are said to reduce fuel consumption by approximately 2.7 liters per passenger per 100 km (62.1 miles).
Air France is just one of many aviation-industry giants that have eliminated single-use plastic items. Just last year, American Airlines, started to transition from plastic to bamboo straws and coffee stirrers on its aircraft around the same time that Delta also ditched plastic straws and other single-use plastics from its flights and Sky Club.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees