Air France reopens its famed La Première lounge — with some refurbishments
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the world’s most exclusive first-class lounges has reopened — and it’s gotten a facelift. During the pandemic, Air France has taken the downturn in travel to completely close its La Première lounge and revamp some of its interior.
As confirmed to TPG by an Air France spokesperson, the new and refurbished La Première lounge has reopened its doors for eligible passengers as of Tuesday, May 4.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more daily news!
In the refurbished lounge, passengers can expect to find more private areas, as well as new modern light fixtures and a lighter, mirrored bar.
In the bar area, which features a premium selection of beverages, Air France has opted for a lighter-colored design. The previous design, as you can see by swiping through the gallery, featured a strong red backlight. The bar itself is in quite a dark area of the lounge with no natural light, so I’m a fan of the brighter finishings.
In order to create more privacy for passengers seated in the alcove in the back of the lounge, Air France has installed a new lighting fixture. The aerial light bubbles provide those seated in the area with more privacy from their other neighbors — you can swipe through to see the old arrangement.
Finally, the airline decided to offer more privacy for passengers looking to rest before their flight. At the far end of the lounge, close to the spa, the airline has added two curtained-off areas. Behind each curtain, there’s a chaise lounge for those looking for supreme privacy.
The Air France La Première lounge has been closed for more than a year — since April 6, 2020. During the time that the lounge has been closed, passengers traveling in the carrier’s best-in-class La Première cabin have had access to a temporary lounge on the mezzanine in the airline’s Business lounge in Hall K of Charles de Gaulle (CDG).
Ultimately, it’s great to see the La Première lounge back open — and with some refreshments. Even before the refurbishments, the La Première lounge offered one of the most premium lounge experiences for passengers. It’s part of what helped Air France’s La Première cabin win the best international first class award at TPG Awards in 2019.
Unfortunately, it’s incredibly difficult to access the lounge. Air France doesn’t release first-class award space to airline partners. It only allows certain elite members within the Flying Blue program to redeem for first class. And even when they are allowed to redeem, it’s only for Flex tickets, not saver fares, meaning you can expect to pay a huge number of miles.
Or, you can pay cash for a La Première ticket — but they don’t come cheap. You can expect to pay thousands of dollars for the experience. However, if you’ve got your eyes set on a luxury flight, I cannot recommend La Première enough. It’s by far and away the best flight I’ve ever taken. Now, I just need to fly it again to test out the new lounge furnishings.
Featured photo by Emily McNutt/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees