Air Canada becomes first North American airline to extend elite status through 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The airline first extended 2020 elite status last April when the virus first started to wreak havoc on the travel industry. While vaccines have started to roll out around the world, the virus has continued to spread in Canada and other parts of the world. This had continued to keep many travelers grounded — especially as the U.S.-Canada border remains closed — so it makes sense that Air Canada is further extending status for travelers.
In this article, I’ll give you a quick overview of Air Canada’s latest status extension and discuss other changes announced.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Air Canada elite status extended through 2022
As discussed, Air Canada has further extended elite status through 2022. This includes those who earned status in 2020 and 2019, giving them an extra year to enjoy elite status benefits.
As you’d expect, an elite who earns a higher elite status tier this year will be able to use their upgraded benefits for the remainder of 2021 and all of 2022.
Air Canada will let elites choose Select Benefits like bonus Aeroplan points, eUpgrade credits, and Status Passes in early 2022. This is a great perk, especially since Select Benefits are usually seen as a bonus benefit on top of standard elite status benefits.
Priority Reward vouchers also extended
The airline is also extending unused Priority Reward vouchers earned in 2020. These upgrades will be extended through Oct. 2022 and can be used any time until that expiration date.
As a reminder, Priority Rewards vouchers are earned when you hit specific SQD milestones. You can use them to book Aeroplan awards with a 50% points discount. Each status tier earns different vouchers that can be used in different cabin classes. For example, Aeroplan 25K members can use their vouchers for 50% off economy flights, while Super Elites can use vouchers for business class tickets.
Aeroplan points won’t expire in 2021
Further, Air Canada will pause the expiration of Aeroplan points until Jan. 31, 2022. After this date, the standard 18-month points validity will apply. You can keep your Aeroplan points active by earning or redeeming a single point. The extension will reflect in member accounts in the coming weeks.
“Status Jumpstart” added for some members
Aeroplan members who qualify for any elite status tier in 2021 (through flight activity) will have their Status Qualifying Miles (SQM), Status Qualifying Segments (SQS), and Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD) earned in 2021 rolled over to 2022. This will apply to any member who earns at least 25,000 SQM or 25 SQS, plus $3,000 SQD ($1,500 for non-Canadian residents) in 2021.
For example, an Aeroplan 35K member that earns 27,000 SQM, 10 SQS and $3,500 SQD will start the 2022 status year with their Aeroplan 35K status and the same number of SQM, SQS and SQD in their account. In turn, this will make it far easier for Aeroplan elites to earn or upgrade status in 2022 (for the 2023 status year) without worrying about losing their current status tier.
This is the most generous status extension we’ve seen so far, and I’m hopeful that U.S. airlines will follow suit in the coming weeks. The travel industry is showing signs of a strong recovery as vaccines rollout around the world, but most business travel is still grounded. This means that many elites will be unable to extend their status in 2021, so further extensions are badly needed.
Feature photo by Heather Dunbar/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees