Score Amazing Star Alliance Redemptions by Buying Aegean Miles With a 50% Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even though Star Alliance, the largest of the three major airline alliances, has a total of 28 partner airlines, they don’t all get an equal amount of attention. You might not be familiar with greek carrier Aegean Airlines, but you’ll want to pay attention to its latest promo on purchased miles.
Through August 8th, 2019, you can get a 50% bonus on purchased miles, up to 30,000 purchased miles. Aegean charges 25 euros (~$28) per 1,000 miles, and while that’s a little pricier than most airlines, its award chart makes up for it.
If you max out this promotion, you’d end up paying 750 euros (~$844) for 45,000 miles after factoring in the bonus. That’s exactly enough to book a one-way business class award between the US and Europe, on Star Alliance partners including United, Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian. For the same 45,000 Aegean miles you could fly business class from Europe to India or the Maldives.
You can also use Aegean miles for domestic United flights, with economy awards starting at 12,500 miles each way. That still comes out to about $280 per flight though, so you’d probably be better off saving these miles for longer flights. However, domestic business class awards start at 21,000 miles each way — or $394 if you maximize the promotion. That could get a transcon flight on United’s 787-10 in Polaris business.
The low cap on the number of miles you can purchase makes it tricky to use this sale for destinations farther away than Europe, but there are other ways to top up your Aegean mileage balance. Marriott Bonvoy offers points transfers at a 3:1 ratio with a 5,000 mile bonus for every 60,000 Marriott points transferred, and you could also consider crediting paid Star Alliance flights to your Aegean account to earn more miles.
If you’re able to get your hands on more Aegean miles, there are some other great values in the carrier’s award chart to consider. Arguably the best is Lufthansa First Class between the US and Europe for only 60,000 miles each way, though Lufthansa doesn’t release any first class award space to partners until 15 days before departure. Note that Aegean does tack on fuel surcharges for some carries, like Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian.
For those looking to fly from the US to Asia, business class awards cost 75,000 miles each way and first class awards cost 100,000 miles each way. These are both great prices, and pretty much in line with what other top Star Alliance programs like Avianca LifeMiles charges.
Reports also indicate the when buying miles from Aegean, it codes as an airline purchase, so using a card that earns bonus points on the airfare can help maximize your purchase. The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare purchased directly from the airlines), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) are likely your best bets.
Aegean is a niche airline for sure, but if you’re planning a trip to Europe this limited time promo on purchased miles might be a great deal for you. As always, we recommend only purchasing miles if you have a specific trip in mind and have already found award space and not doing so speculatively. You can purchase Aegean miles here.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.