American Airlines Is Beta-Testing Boarding Push Notifications
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As a frequent traveler who often works from airport lounges, it’s a pet peeve of mine to pack up and head to the boarding gate to find that either there’s a delay, or gate agents started boarding early and there’s a line on the jet bridge. So, I particularly appreciate flying with airlines like Delta and United that notify passengers through their app when the boarding process has started.
Now, American Airlines is finally catching up in this passenger-friendly regard. As first shared by Jamie Larounis of The Forward Cabin, American Airlines’ app now has push boarding notifications — at least for some passengers:
I checked with American Airlines about the rollout of this feature, as it’s not showing as a feature in the latest version of the AA app. An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed that this feature is currently only available to beta testers of the AA app, both on Android and iOS. While AA travelers are going to have to wait a little longer to get this feature, it’s good news that it’s on its way.
One of the concerns raised about this feature is whether or not it’s solely based on the scheduled boarding time, rather than being a true alert of the boarding process being started. The good news is that the push notification is sent out when the first passenger boarding pass is scanned at the boarding door.
One feature that’s live for all AA app users as of the April 17 update: notification history. While this is a relatively minor add, it’s nice to have a place where you can check your notification history from the past 24 hours — whether you accidentally dismissed a notification, or so you can see the rolling delays of a flight.
Featured photo by Benji Stawski/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.