American Airlines Is Beta-Testing Boarding Push Notifications
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As a frequent traveler who often works from airport lounges, it’s a pet peeve of mine to pack up and head to the boarding gate to find that either there’s a delay, or gate agents started boarding early and there’s a line on the jet bridge. So, I particularly appreciate flying with airlines like Delta and United that notify passengers through their app when the boarding process has started.
Now, American Airlines is finally catching up in this passenger-friendly regard. As first shared by Jamie Larounis of The Forward Cabin, American Airlines’ app now has push boarding notifications — at least for some passengers:
I checked with American Airlines about the rollout of this feature, as it’s not showing as a feature in the latest version of the AA app. An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed that this feature is currently only available to beta testers of the AA app, both on Android and iOS. While AA travelers are going to have to wait a little longer to get this feature, it’s good news that it’s on its way.
One of the concerns raised about this feature is whether or not it’s solely based on the scheduled boarding time, rather than being a true alert of the boarding process being started. The good news is that the push notification is sent out when the first passenger boarding pass is scanned at the boarding door.
One feature that’s live for all AA app users as of the April 17 update: notification history. While this is a relatively minor add, it’s nice to have a place where you can check your notification history from the past 24 hours — whether you accidentally dismissed a notification, or so you can see the rolling delays of a flight.
Featured photo by Benji Stawski/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees