American Airlines Is Beta-Testing Boarding Push Notifications
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As a frequent traveler who often works from airport lounges, it’s a pet peeve of mine to pack up and head to the boarding gate to find that either there’s a delay, or gate agents started boarding early and there’s a line on the jet bridge. So, I particularly appreciate flying with airlines like Delta and United that notify passengers through their app when the boarding process has started.
Now, American Airlines is finally catching up in this passenger-friendly regard. As first shared by Jamie Larounis of The Forward Cabin, American Airlines’ app now has push boarding notifications — at least for some passengers:
I checked with American Airlines about the rollout of this feature, as it’s not showing as a feature in the latest version of the AA app. An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed that this feature is currently only available to beta testers of the AA app, both on Android and iOS. While AA travelers are going to have to wait a little longer to get this feature, it’s good news that it’s on its way.
One of the concerns raised about this feature is whether or not it’s solely based on the scheduled boarding time, rather than being a true alert of the boarding process being started. The good news is that the push notification is sent out when the first passenger boarding pass is scanned at the boarding door.
One feature that’s live for all AA app users as of the April 17 update: notification history. While this is a relatively minor add, it’s nice to have a place where you can check your notification history from the past 24 hours — whether you accidentally dismissed a notification, or so you can see the rolling delays of a flight.
Featured photo by Benji Stawski/TPG
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees