Participate in a free American Airlines status challenge through Mastercard
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is currently offering Mastercard cardholders the opportunity to fast-track AAdvantage Gold or Platinum elite status with just two trips within a 90 day period. The promotion is available to all Mastercard World and World Elite cardholders — regardless of whether it’s a credit card, debit card, cobranded card or not — and doesn’t require you to have elite status with another airline. As first discovered by Bougie Miles, there’s no registration necessary to participate, but there are some important rules you need to know.
Want more travel news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
American Airlines status challenge for Mastercard cardholders
American Airlines’ latest status challenge is publicly available to all Mastercard World and World Elite cardholders, including no-fee cards like the Citi® Double Cash Card. This promotion provides an easy opportunity to earn Gold status, as well as a pathway to Platinum if you booked and take two round-trips within 90 days.
With this promotion, current non-status members can earn Gold status after booking and traveling on two domestic roundtrips (any cabin) or one domestic roundtrip and one international roundtrip (coach). Current non-status members earn Platinum by booking and traveling on two international round-trip flights (coach) or one domestic roundtrip (coach) and one international roundtrip (premium cabin). If you already have Gold status, you can fast-track Platinum by completing two round-trip flights within the 90-day period.
The full details of the promotion can be found under the “Offers and Virtual Events” tab on the Mastercard Travel website (account required), but the main requirement is that the flights must be booked through the Mastercard travel concierge. Also, only paid bookings through March 31, 2021 are count. Unlike most American Airlines status challenges, there’s no qualifying dollars requirement, so those $40 transcontinental flights should count.
If you complete the challenge, your elite status will be processed within 30 days of the second trip being completed.
This is one of the most generous status challenge opportunities we’ve seen from American Airlines. Obviously, not everyone is flying right now, but if you are, then it’s definitely worth taking advantage of.
American only allows members to receive elite status through a challenge once every five years. But, if you’re eligible and meet the requirements, you could be getting tremendous value. With perks like free checked bags, 500-mile upgrades and complimentary Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seats within 24 hours of departure, Gold status is worth $930 according to TPG. Thanks to additional perks like lounge access when traveling internationally and better upgrade status, Platinum status can be worth over $2,000.
Featured image by Mark Rightmire/Orange County Register/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees