Participate in a free American Airlines status challenge through Mastercard
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is currently offering Mastercard cardholders the opportunity to fast-track AAdvantage Gold or Platinum elite status with just two trips within a 90 day period. The promotion is available to all Mastercard World and World Elite cardholders — regardless of whether it’s a credit card, debit card, cobranded card or not — and doesn’t require you to have elite status with another airline. As first discovered by Bougie Miles, there’s no registration necessary to participate, but there are some important rules you need to know.
Want more travel news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
American Airlines status challenge for Mastercard cardholders
American Airlines’ latest status challenge is publicly available to all Mastercard World and World Elite cardholders, including no-fee cards like the Citi® Double Cash Card. This promotion provides an easy opportunity to earn Gold status, as well as a pathway to Platinum if you booked and take two round-trips within 90 days.
With this promotion, current non-status members can earn Gold status after booking and traveling on two domestic roundtrips (any cabin) or one domestic roundtrip and one international roundtrip (coach). Current non-status members earn Platinum by booking and traveling on two international round-trip flights (coach) or one domestic roundtrip (coach) and one international roundtrip (premium cabin). If you already have Gold status, you can fast-track Platinum by completing two round-trip flights within the 90-day period.
The full details of the promotion can be found under the “Offers and Virtual Events” tab on the Mastercard Travel website (account required), but the main requirement is that the flights must be booked through the Mastercard travel concierge. Also, only paid bookings through March 31, 2021 are count. Unlike most American Airlines status challenges, there’s no qualifying dollars requirement, so those $40 transcontinental flights should count.
If you complete the challenge, your elite status will be processed within 30 days of the second trip being completed.
This is one of the most generous status challenge opportunities we’ve seen from American Airlines. Obviously, not everyone is flying right now, but if you are, then it’s definitely worth taking advantage of.
American only allows members to receive elite status through a challenge once every five years. But, if you’re eligible and meet the requirements, you could be getting tremendous value. With perks like free checked bags, 500-mile upgrades and complimentary Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seats within 24 hours of departure, Gold status is worth $930 according to TPG. Thanks to additional perks like lounge access when traveling internationally and better upgrade status, Platinum status can be worth over $2,000.
Featured image by Mark Rightmire/Orange County Register/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.