This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is making it easier to see when you can earn bonus AAdvantage miles via its shopping portal. The carrier has introduced a new AAdvantage Shopping Button extension for Google Chrome, which allows you to activate earning miles when doing your online shopping.
Here’s how it works. Once the extension has been installed, a notification will appear on screen when you visit an eligible AAdvantage Shopping website and there are miles to be earned from a purchase. Once you see it appear in the corner of the window, click the activate button to automatically enable the bonus mileage earning for your purchase. There, you’ll also be able to see your mileage earning on all recent purchases.
In addition to the extension’s ability to know when you’re on a site that’s eligible to earn you bonus miles, it will also let you compare bonus mileage earn rates when using a search engine. For example, if you Google “duvet sets,” the results with retailers will automatically populate with the bonus mileage earning at that particular merchant. For example, it would tell you if Target, Macy’s and West Elm are all offering five miles per dollar.
Both Alaska Airlines and United Airlines introduced the same extensions in recent months — the Mileage Plan Shopping Button and the MileagePlus Shopping Button. If you’re a frequent online shopper and interested in earning American, United or Alaska miles, these Chrome extensions could be worthwhile to install in order to maximize your purchases.
Online shopping portals are an easy way to earn extra miles for shopping. By logging in and just clicking through an airline or bank’s shopping portal, you can earn anywhere from one, two or even dozens of extra miles per dollar spent. This is on top of the points you earn from your credit card.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards