This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is making it easier to see when you can earn bonus AAdvantage miles via its shopping portal. The carrier has introduced a new AAdvantage Shopping Button extension for Google Chrome, which allows you to activate earning miles when doing your online shopping.
Here’s how it works. Once the extension has been installed, a notification will appear on screen when you visit an eligible AAdvantage Shopping website and there are miles to be earned from a purchase. Once you see it appear in the corner of the window, click the activate button to automatically enable the bonus mileage earning for your purchase. There, you’ll also be able to see your mileage earning on all recent purchases.
In addition to the extension’s ability to know when you’re on a site that’s eligible to earn you bonus miles, it will also let you compare bonus mileage earn rates when using a search engine. For example, if you Google “duvet sets,” the results with retailers will automatically populate with the bonus mileage earning at that particular merchant. For example, it would tell you if Target, Macy’s and West Elm are all offering five miles per dollar.
Both Alaska Airlines and United Airlines introduced the same extensions in recent months — the Mileage Plan Shopping Button and the MileagePlus Shopping Button. If you’re a frequent online shopper and interested in earning American, United or Alaska miles, these Chrome extensions could be worthwhile to install in order to maximize your purchases.
Online shopping portals are an easy way to earn extra miles for shopping. By logging in and just clicking through an airline or bank’s shopping portal, you can earn anywhere from one, two or even dozens of extra miles per dollar spent. This is on top of the points you earn from your credit card.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees