Great news: American Airlines to honor incredible Economy Web Special deals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple of weeks ago, we saw two incredible mileage sales on American Airlines. The first offered award flights between the U.S. and Australia and New Zealand for just 10,000 miles round-trip. On the next morning, AA sold nonstop flights to Hawaii for 20,000 miles round-trip.
We have been thrilled to hear from many TPG readers who shared with us that they booked these awards. However, readers have also expressed concerns about making further plans for these trips as it was unclear if these award reservations would be honored.
Since rolling out its dynamic award pricing “Economy Web Specials” over the past year, we’ve seen some pretty amazing deals, such as transcontinental flights for 5,000 miles each way. But, these sales seemed almost too good to be true.
For cash “mistake fares,” the U.S. Department of Transportation has a “temporary” policy — since 2015 — that governs flyers’ rights and airline responsibilities. If airlines choose to cancel a mistake fare, the airline must reimburse “reasonable, actual and verifiable out-of-pocket expenses that were made in reliance upon the ticket purchase.”
However, it’s unclear if or how this policy would be applied to very cheap mileage awards. Thankfully, we won’t have to find out the answer to that — at least yet. An American Airlines spokesperson has confirmed the great news that the airline is honoring these awards.
Don’t want to miss out on future sales? There are a number of ways to make sure that you don’t miss out on the next great deal. The simplest way is to enable push notifications for our @TPG_Alerts Twitter feed. That way you’ll be alerted within minutes of TPG posting about a deal. And it’s a tool that I’ve personally used for years to find out about and book a number of great deals.
If you need to restock your AAdvantage miles for future Economy Web Special deals, check out the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, which is offering 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months after opening the card. Business owners can score 65,000 bonus miles through the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® by spending $4,000 on purchases in the first four months of card membership.
The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees