American Airlines Adds Ability to Book Awards Online for Two More Partners
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the major frustrations that miles and points collectors have with American Airlines’ AAdvantage mileage program is the seeming lack of award options that are bookable with AA miles. In fact, there are actually a whole lot more award options that you can book with AA miles than you’ll ever see on AA’s website. There’s a long list of American partners that you can’t book on AA’s website, and it’s been over a year since a partner’s awards have been added to AA.com.
There was flash of optimism in mid-August when five new partners — Cathay Pacific, Malaysian, Sri Lankan, Qatar, LATAM — were suddenly available for booking online. These options were quickly removed and an AA spokesperson explained the next day:
“Late yesterday, we incorrectly displayed award bookings for several of our partners on aa.com and they have since been removed. Making more award partners bookable on aa.com is something that our customers continually ask for, so please rest assured that we are working towards this.”
Now, AA is making good on that pledge. Overnight on Monday night, American Airlines announced that it has added two new partners to online AA.com bookings: Malaysia Airlines and Fiji Airways.
Sure enough, I was able to successfully search and find Malaysia Airlines award availability on AA.com:
After reading our review of Malaysia Airlines A330 business class, that option looks pretty sweet, so I went ahead and completed the booking on that flight. It went through without a hitch. (Plus, as an AA Executive Platinum, I can always cancel this award for free later)
I received an email less than an hour and a half later with my confirmed ticket.
What’s next for partner award bookings? In sharing these changes, an AA spokesperson — unprompted — said that the airline is “working on adding more partners” for online award booking. Based on the ability to successfully book awards for one evening in mid-August, we can assume that AA is working on also adding Cathay Pacific, Sri Lankan, Qatar and LATAM — but there’s something holding back their release. Hopefully, those roadblocks are resolved soon.
Featured image of Malaysia A330 business class by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees