American Is Planning Lie-Flat 757s on Some Transcon Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines executive has confirmed that the carrier will offer lie-flat seats with its 757s on some transcontinental routes.
American’s Vice President of Planning Vasu Raja told employees on Thursday that the future of the airline’s 757s with lie-flat seats is on domestic routes. “What we would like to do with the 757 is increasingly it is a much less competitive international product. But it is a great domestic product especially flying on the transcon where business travelers can get a full flat bed on it,” Raja said, according to View from the Wing.
TPG‘s Katie Genter reviewed AA’s lie-flat 757 service from Philadelphia (PHL) to Amsterdam (AMS) earlier in March. The business-class cabin is equipped with 16 B/E Aerospace Diamond lie-flat seats laid out in four rows of 2-2 seating. She found the 2-2 arrangement made the cabin tight, and the seats weren’t the most spacious at 21 inches of width and 58 inches of pitch.
TPG reached out to American, and the carrier says there are no details yet on what exact domestic routes will get the lie-flat 757s and no timeframe on when this will go into effect.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.