It’s Going to Take up to 7 Years to Repaint United’s Entire Fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s new extra-blue livery is officially official — yes, for the second time. After a leaked image prompted United Airlines to unveil its brand-new design ahead of schedule last night, CEO Oscar Munoz and hundreds of other employees gathered at a Chicago O’Hare hangar to show off the first repainted plane earlier Wednesday.
As expected — well, confirmed, even — United’s ditching the familiar gold, instead opting to deck out the fleet entirely in shades of blue. A thin blue “swoop” will be used across all aircraft types, replacing a similar element found on current 787 Dreamliners and 737 MAX planes.
The all-caps United text remains on both the port and starboard sides, but it’s far larger, lower and more prominent here. The globe tail is also getting a tweak, with gold accents being removed there, and the engines are also highlighted with a bright coat of blue.
So far, only one aircraft sports the new paint job — N37267, a Boeing 737-800. That plane will make its way to Los Angeles (LAX) Wednesday night before participating in an air-to-air photo shoot later this week. It’s expected to re-enter service next week, so at least some passengers will fly on a plane with the new design very soon.
As for the rest of the fleet, United’s still working through its repainting plans, but expects the process to take between five and seven years — the current gold livery could continue flying through 2026. And that makes sense, considering that the airline currently operates a fleet of nearly 800 planes, not including regional jets. New additions will come out of the factory with the new colors, too, with the exception of aircraft that are set to be delivered over the next few weeks.
All photos by the author
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees