This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon is back with one of the best ways to maximize your points, potentially netting a $30 per point value.
There’s a new offer where you can use just one American Express Membership Reward point at Amazon and receive $30 off your order, which can be used toward nearly anything in the store. Normally, you can redeem Membership Rewards points on Amazon for .7 cents apiece, but that’s far below TPG’s value of 2 cents each — making it a poor redemption. However, this deal is more than worth your time and gives one Membership Reward point an insane value of $30.
The best part is, even third-party gift cards are eligible. So if you don’t have any items you need to buy now, you can still get $30 off a gift card from companies like Delta, Hotels.com or Whole Foods. Unfortunately, Amazon and VISA gift cards won’t work with this deal, and it won’t work with third-party sellers, only items shipped and sold by Amazon.com.
The offer is targeted, so you’ll want to head here to see if you can take advantage of the amazing deal. However most of the TPG staff seemed to be eligible for the offer when they checked.
To take advantage of the promotion, you’ll first need to have a Membership Rewards earning card and then connect your Amex account to your Amazon account. Qualified cards include The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express and the American Express® Gold Card.
Then, click here to see if you’re eligible for the offer and then fill up your shopping cart with whatever you like, just make sure the total is more than $60. Head to checkout and select a Membership Rewards earning American Express card that you’ve connected to your account as the payment method. Then in the box where Amazon offers to let you apply points to your order, you only need to put in $0.01 worth of points, which will be equivalent to 1 point. Click “Use this payment method,” and the $30 discount should show up in your total on the right side.
TPG Reviews Editor Nick Ellis, as well as myself, were both able to purchase a $60 Whole Foods gift card for $29.99 after applying one Amex point to our order.
While the terms and conditions say the offer will expire on Dec. 31, 2019, it’s likely it will be pulled before then — so you’ll want to make a purchase sooner rather than later. Make sure to put the rest of the purchase on a credit card that earns the best return at Amazon.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image by AdrianHancu / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees