This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon is back with one of the best ways to maximize your points, potentially netting a $30 per point value.
There’s a new offer where you can use just one American Express Membership Reward point at Amazon and receive $30 off your order, which can be used toward nearly anything in the store. Normally, you can redeem Membership Rewards points on Amazon for .7 cents apiece, but that’s far below TPG’s value of 2 cents each — making it a poor redemption. However, this deal is more than worth your time and gives one Membership Reward point an insane value of $30.
The best part is, even third-party gift cards are eligible. So if you don’t have any items you need to buy now, you can still get $30 off a gift card from companies like Delta, Hotels.com or Whole Foods. Unfortunately, Amazon and VISA gift cards won’t work with this deal, and it won’t work with third-party sellers, only items shipped and sold by Amazon.com.
The offer is targeted, so you’ll want to head here to see if you can take advantage of the amazing deal. However most of the TPG staff seemed to be eligible for the offer when they checked.
To take advantage of the promotion, you’ll first need to have a Membership Rewards earning card and then connect your Amex account to your Amazon account. Qualified cards include The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express and the American Express® Gold Card.
Then, click here to see if you’re eligible for the offer and then fill up your shopping cart with whatever you like, just make sure the total is more than $60. Head to checkout and select a Membership Rewards earning American Express card that you’ve connected to your account as the payment method. Then in the box where Amazon offers to let you apply points to your order, you only need to put in $0.01 worth of points, which will be equivalent to 1 point. Click “Use this payment method,” and the $30 discount should show up in your total on the right side.
TPG Reviews Editor Nick Ellis, as well as myself, were both able to purchase a $60 Whole Foods gift card for $29.99 after applying one Amex point to our order.
While the terms and conditions say the offer will expire on Dec. 31, 2019, it’s likely it will be pulled before then — so you’ll want to make a purchase sooner rather than later. Make sure to put the rest of the purchase on a credit card that earns the best return at Amazon.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image by AdrianHancu / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees