The (Infuriating) Workaround for Finding AA Award Availability Through British Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways’ Executive Club program is typically a great choice for booking Oneworld award flights because its website will show you award seats on every alliance partner carrier and the program has some excellent sweet spots like American Airlines lie-flat domestic business-class flights for 15,000 Avios. Plus, it’s relatively easy to rack up on British Airways Avios since it’s a 1:1 transfer partner of Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest.
What’s not so great about the program is that it has a history of IT glitches that prevent you from finding American Airlines award space in its system — regardless of whether you book through British Airways’ website or over the phone — and it looks like the issue is back.
Here’s an example for an early July flight from Los Angeles to Chicago on AA’s site. As you can see, there’s plenty award availability at the SAAver level:
When searching the BA site for AA award availability, there was absolutely no availability on that day — or any other day that week:
As another example, there’s practically wide open SAAver level availability between San Francisco and Philadelphia in August 2018:
Again, the BA site showed no available flights:
However, as Frequent Miler points out, there’s an infuriating workaround to this issue: refresh the search over and over again until the availability appears (assuming you found SAAver level availability on AA’s site, of course). The best way of doing this is by toggling between nearby dates on the calendar and then back to your original date. Although you’ll need to do this around 20 times, the award space should eventually show up.
Sure enough, after 19 and 16 tries, respectively, I was able to find award availability on BA’s site for the flight to Chicago…
… and the flight to Philadelphia. Funny enough, there were a whopping seven award seats available in economy for this flight.
Once you find the award seats you’re looking for, you’ll want to book right away. After switching between the dates again, I noticed that the availability I previously found disappeared and I had to go through the entire search process all over again.
Featured image by Juha Remes / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees