British Airways’ Website Isn’t Showing American Award Availability
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is surprising: There is currently no American Airlines award space showing on British Airways’ website. A TPG reader let us know that they weren’t able to find any award space on the BA site, so we looked into it and found that — indeed — nothing is showing up.
Here’s an example for a mid-October flight from New York to St. Louis on AA’s site. As you can see for the entire month, there’s pretty great award availability at the SAAver level — 12,500 AAdvantage miles plus taxes and fees:
However, when searching the BA site for AA award availability during one week of the month, there was absolutely no availability. Even on days when there was SAAver space, BA’s site was showing nothing. On this route, BA usually charges 7,500 Avios for short-haul American flights in the US:
However, the BA site is showing no available flights:
We’ve reached out to British Airways but have yet to hear anything back. At this time, the site is showing BA award availability, as well as that on some other partners. In addition, the AA site is continuing to show BA award space on its website.
This pattern holds true for both economy and premium cabin travel on all routes we’ve searched for. It’s not clear what’s causing this issue, but hopefully American and BA are working to get this resolved soon. I tried calling BA and the agent couldn’t find any availability flying NYC to STL for an entire week in October or from NYC to Chicago for the same week, which is certainly strange. This comes at an unfortunate time, as there’s a limited-time only 40% bonus for transferring Membership Rewards points to British Airways Avios.
We’ll continue tracking this and update the post when we learn anything new.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees