This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is surprising: There is currently no American Airlines award space showing on British Airways’ website. A TPG reader let us know that they weren’t able to find any award space on the BA site, so we looked into it and found that — indeed — nothing is showing up.
Here’s an example for a mid-October flight from New York to St. Louis on AA’s site. As you can see for the entire month, there’s pretty great award availability at the SAAver level — 12,500 AAdvantage miles plus taxes and fees:
However, when searching the BA site for AA award availability during one week of the month, there was absolutely no availability. Even on days when there was SAAver space, BA’s site was showing nothing. On this route, BA usually charges 7,500 Avios for short-haul American flights in the US:
However, the BA site is showing no available flights:
We’ve reached out to British Airways but have yet to hear anything back. At this time, the site is showing BA award availability, as well as that on some other partners. In addition, the AA site is continuing to show BA award space on its website.
This pattern holds true for both economy and premium cabin travel on all routes we’ve searched for. It’s not clear what’s causing this issue, but hopefully American and BA are working to get this resolved soon. I tried calling BA and the agent couldn’t find any availability flying NYC to STL for an entire week in October or from NYC to Chicago for the same week, which is certainly strange. This comes at an unfortunate time, as there’s a limited-time only 40% bonus for transferring Membership Rewards points to British Airways Avios.
We’ll continue tracking this and update the post when we learn anything new.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees