Ordering flowers online? Use a shopping portal to earn more rewards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This article has been updated with the latest information.
When an occasion calls for flowers, you can order from a local florist or order online. If you make your purchase with one of the best rewards credit cards, you’ll get points, miles or cash back from the transaction regardless of how you order the flowers.
There are various reasons to order from a local florist. For example, it’s a great way to support a small business. Plus, you’ll generally get more control over the final product. But you may be leaving rewards on the table if you don’t order your flowers online through a shopping portal.
Online shopping portals can boost your earnings on many types of online purchases. But, the rewards-earning potential when clicking through a shopping portal is incredibly lucrative for flowers. Today, I’ll discuss how and why to use a shopping portal if you order flowers online.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Why use a portal
If you’re not familiar with online shopping portals, here’s a quick introduction to what they are and why you should use them.
Using a shopping portal is easy and doesn’t add much time to your purchase. Generally, you’ll need to register with the portal and then click through to your desired retailer. A cookie will track any purchases you make with the retailer during this session and you’ll automatically earn rewards on your purchase.
How to choose the best portal
Checking a shopping portal aggregator site can help determine which portal to use for a particular retailer. For instance, if you know you want to order from SendFlowers.com, head to an aggregator like Cashback Monitor to find out which portal offers the largest return on your purchase.
However, if you’re focused on earning a specific type of bonus provided by a particular shopping portal — perhaps to earn points to keep your points and miles from expiring — you can always go directly to the portal of your choice. You can also install shopping portal browser extensions to remind you to use portals when shopping online.
Current bonuses by portal and vendor
Bonuses change frequently. But here are the best bonuses available on several of the most popular online shopping portals when I wrote this article. I calculate the value of each loyalty currency using TPG’s monthly points and miles valuations.
AAdvantage eShopping (1 mile = 1.4 cents)
- FTD Flowers & Gifts: 30x miles (earning about $0.42 in value per $1 spent, or 42% return)
- ProFlowers: 20x miles (28%)
- Sendflowers: 15x miles (21%)
- Flowers by Florists: 15x miles (21%)
- FromYouFlowers: 15x miles (21%)
- 1800Flowers: 10x miles (14%)
- Flowers by UrbanStems: 10x miles (14%)
To learn more, check out our AAdvantage online shopping portal guide.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Shopping (1 mile = 1.8 cents)
- ProFlowers: 14x miles (earning about $0.25 in value per $1 spent, or 25.2% return)
- Sendflowers: 12x miles (21.6%)
- Flowers by Florists: 11x miles (19.8%)
- FromYouFlowers: 11x miles (19.8%)
- Flowers by UrbanStems: 10x miles (18%)
- FTD: 9x miles (16.2%)
- 1800Flowers: 7x miles (12.6%)
To learn more, check out our Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan shopping portal guide.
Chase Ultimate Rewards (1 point = 2 cents)
Earning bonuses can vary across different Chase credit cards, but here’s what CashbackMonitor is currently showing for some merchants:
- Sendflowers: 12x to 20x points (earning $0.24 to $0.40 in value per $1 spent, or 24% to 40% return)
- Flowers by Florists: 10x to 15x points (20% to 30%)
- ProFlowers: 8x to 12x points (16% to 24%)
- FTD Flowers & Gifts: 8x to 12x points (16% to 24%)
See our post on how to earn bonus Ultimate Rewards points using Shop Through Chase for more information.
Delta SkyMiles Shopping (1 mile = 1.1 cents)
- FTD Flowers & Gifts: 30x miles (earning about $0.33 in value per $1 spent, or 33% return)
- ProFlowers: 12x miles (13.2%)
To learn more, check out our Delta SkyMiles shopping portal guide.
You’ll earn cash-back rewards by default, but you can switch your earning preference to Amex Membership Rewards (1% cash back = 1 Membership Rewards point). TPG’s valuations peg the value of Amex Membership Rewards points at 2 cents each.
- SendFlowers: 21x miles (earning about $0.42 in value per $1 spent, or 42% return)
- FTD Flowers: 20x miles (40%)
- ProFlowers: 20x miles (40%)
- Blooms Today: 20x miles (40%)
- From You Flowers: 20x miles (40%)
- 1800Flowers: 20x miles (40%)
- Flowers by Florists: 15x miles (30%)
- FromYouFlowers: 25% cash back
- Flowers by Florists: 20% cash back
- PickupFlowers: 15% cash back
- Overnight Flowers: 15% cash back
- 1800Flowers: 12% cash back
- The Borgs: 12% cash back
- Floraqueen: 12% cash back
- Teleflora Flowers: 11% cash back
United MileagePlus Shopping (1 mile = 1.3 cents)
- FTD: 30x miles (earning about $0.39 in value per $1 spent, or 39% return)
- 1800Flowers: 15x miles (19.5%)
- ProFlowers: 14x miles (18.2%)
- Sendflowers: 9x miles (11.7%)
- Flowers by Florists: 8x miles (10.4%)
- FromYouFlowers: 8x miles (10.4%)
- UrbanStems: 5x miles (6.5%)
- Teleflora Flowers: 750 miles per order (worth about $9.75)
Wyndham Rewards (1 point = 1.1 cents)
- FromYouFlowers: 19x points (earning about $0.21 in value per $1 spent, or 20.9% return)
- 1800Florals: 15x points (16.5%)
- Sendflowers: 15x points (16.5%)
- Flower: 11x points (12.1%)
- ProFlowers: 7x points (7.7%)
Deciding which card to use
Some spending categories, like dining or travel, have many credit cards that offer bonus rewards. Flower purchases, on the other hand, fall into the non-bonus-spending category. As such, you’ll want to use one of the best cards for everyday spending that provides bonus rewards on all purchases.
In particular, here’s what you’d earn when purchasing flowers with select cards:
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express: 2x Membership Rewards on the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year (1x thereafter)
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: 1.5% cash back that can be converted to 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points when paired with a card that earns Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: 2x Capital One Venture Rewards miles
- Citi® Double Cash Card: Up to 2% cash back (1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay) that can be converted to ThankYou Points via a linked ThankYou account
- The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express: 1x Membership Reward points, 50% bonus points after making 30 purchases in a billing statement
- Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card: 1.5x points but Preferred Rewards members get a 25% to 75% bonus
The information for the Amex EveryDay Preferred Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You should always consider using a shopping portal when shopping online. It can be incredibly lucrative when purchasing products (like flowers) that offer high rewards. Unless you are focused on earning a specific reward type, I recommend using a shopping portal aggregator like Cashback Monitor when shopping online. Doing so will allow you to determine which portal provides the best rewards for each retailer.
Feature image by YuriF/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees