Earn more Marriott Bonvoy points with 3 limited-time Eat Around Town promotions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
If you’re going to dine out or order food online, you might as well earn lots of points and miles. Using one of the best credit cards for dining is a good start, along with joining restaurant loyalty programs. But, you can earn even more points by signing up for a dining rewards program like Marriott’s Eat Around Town. This program allows you to earn Marriott Bonvoy points when you dine at select restaurants, clubs and bars.
Best of all, Marriott is offering several limited-time promotions that can sweeten the deal. In particular, new members can earn up to 6,000 bonus points in their first 60 days. Plus, all Marriott Bonvoy members enrolled in Eat Around Town will earn 1,000 bonus points after every ten dines of $30 or more between Feb. 22, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2021. And this June, members will earn an extra 150 Marriott Bonvoy points on one eligible dine per day.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
How to join Marriott’s Eat Around Town dining rewards program
Marriott’s Eat Around Town dining rewards program is free to join. Go to Marriott’s Eat Around Town website and click “Join Now.” You’ll need to sign in to your Marriott Bonvoy account to proceed. Once you sign in, Marriott will prefill your email address and zip code into a form. You need to check the terms and conditions box and click “Join Eat Around Town” to move to the next step.
Finally, you must link at least one credit or debit card to your account. Ideally, it should be a card that earns bonus points on dining. Then use this card when dining with participating restaurants, bars and clubs to earn extra Marriott Bonvoy points. If you use a debit card, you’ll need to request that it be processed as credit to earn points through the program.
How to earn points with Marriott’s Eat Around Town dining rewards program
You’ll earn points with Marriott’s Eat Around Town dining rewards program when you use an enrolled card at eligible restaurants, bars and clubs. You’ll also earn points when you place a qualifying online order through the Eat Around Town website. Simply use the Marriot Eat Around Town website to search for eligible locations near you.
Your earn rate is based on whether you have elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- 4 points per dollar spent (a 3.2% return based on TPG’s valuations) for non-elite Marriott Bonvoy members
- 6 points per dollar spent (for a 4.8% return) for Marriott Bonvoy elite members
But, Marriott frequently offers promotions that may allow you to earn more points when you dine. Specifically, here are the current limited-time promotions:
- Frequent dinner bonus: Earn an extra 1,000 bonus points every time you complete ten qualifying dines of $30 or more between Feb. 22, 2021 and Dec. 31, 2021.
- New member bonus points: Earn up to 6,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points during your first 60 days with Eat Around Town by Marriott Bonvoy.
- Earn more in June: Get 150 bonus points once a day in addition to what you already earn every time you dine at any participating restaurant.
You should allow two to three weeks after dining for points to appear in your Marriott Bonvoy account. So while this is an easy way to earn Marriott points without thinking about it, it isn’t a quick way to top off your Marriott Bonvoy account for an upcoming redemption.
Finally, your Eat Around Town account will expire if you don’t earn rewards for 36 consecutive months.
How to earn the new member bonus
Currently, you can snag a new member bonus of 6,000 Marriott Bonvoy points by ordering food three times at participating restaurants within the first 60 days of signing up and linking at least one debit or credit card. In particular, when you use a credit card or debit card linked to your Eat Around Town account within 60 days of signing up, you’ll earn:
- 1,000 points after the first $30 order and review
- 2,000 points after the second $30 order and review
- 3,000 points after the third $30 order and review
However, you must complete an online review within 30 days of each restaurant visit and remain opted in to Eat Around Town emails to earn the new member bonus points.
6,000 Marriott Bonvoy points are enough for an off-peak Category 1 award night (which requires 5,000 points). But more importantly, earning 6,000 points on $90 worth of dining is equivalent to 66 points per $1 spent. And that’s before you consider the points you’d typically earn through Eat Around Town and its other limited-time promotions.
Which cards to use with Marriott Eat Around Town
You can enroll almost any credit or debit card in Marriott’s Eat Around Town program. However, you’ll want to enroll one or more of your best credit cards for dining to maximize your earnings. Here are some cards to consider:
- Citi Prestige® Card – 5x Citi ThankYou points at restaurants for an 8.5% return based on TPG’s valuations
- American Express® Gold Card – 4x Amex Membership Rewards points at restaurants for an 8% return
- American Express® Green Card – 3x Amex Membership Rewards points at restaurants for a 6% return
- Chase Sapphire Reserve – 3x Ultimate Rewards points on dining for a 6% return
Return percentages are based on TPG valuations. The information for the Citi Prestige and Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Earn even more Marriott Bonvoy points
But, if you’re looking to earn lots of Marriott Bonvoy points, you may want to enroll a Marriott Bonvoy credit card. If you do so, you’ll earn Marriott Bonvoy points from your credit card as well as from the Eat Around Town program.
Specifically, you may want to consider the following Marriott credit cards:
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card: 4x Marriott Bonvoy points at U.S. restaurants for a 3.2% return based on TPG’s valuations.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card: 3x Marriott Bonvoy points at U.S. restaurants for a 2.4% return based on TPG’s valuations.
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card: 2x Marriott Bonvoy points on purchases for a 1.6% return based on TPG’s valuations.
Of course, the rates listed above are what you’d earn just from spending on your credit card. You’d also earn an additional 4x or 6x from the Eat Around Town program based on your Marriott Bonvoy status.
Is Marriott’s Eat Around Town dining rewards program worth it?
Even if you live in an area with few participating restaurants, it’s usually worth enrolling in a dining rewards program. After all, it doesn’t take long to register and you may periodically pick up some bonus points.
Just keep in mind that you can only enroll each card in one Rewards Network-operated dining rewards program. So, the more critical question is whether Marriott’s Eat Around Town dining rewards program is the best program for you.
After all, many other loyalty programs have dining rewards programs. For example, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards Club, American Airlines AAdvantage, Southwest Rapid Rewards, United MileagePlus and JetBlue TrueBlue all have dining rewards programs. And, some of these programs may provide you with a more significant return on your spending.
However, Marriott’s Eat Around Town program differs from most other dining rewards programs in one crucial way. Specifically, most programs base your earning rate on how many times you dine with the program and whether you opt-in to receive emails.
On the other hand, Marriott’s Eat Around Town bases your earning rate on your elite status level with Marriott Bonvoy. So, if you have elite status with Marriott Bonvoy, Marriott’s Eat Around Town program may be the best option for you. After all, you’ll earn 6x points for an effective 4.8% return.
Otherwise, I’d suggest comparing the dining rewards programs’ earning rates for your favorite loyalty programs. Then, enroll your cards in the one that provides the most value to you.
You can already earn plenty of rewards when dining out with the best credit cards for dining. But, to maximize your earnings, you should also enroll your credit cards in a dining rewards program. Once you register your cards, there’s nothing else you need to do to earn bonus points on eligible dining charges.
Since you can only enroll each card in one Rewards Network dining rewards program, it’s essential to determine which dining rewards program is best for you. Marriott’s Eat Around Town program is particularly appealing to Marriott elites and members who don’t eat at participating restaurants frequently.
Featured image by Alexander Spatari/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees