Earn easy miles with the Free Spirit Dining program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
Miles earned through the Free Spirit loyalty program expire every 12 months that your account goes without activity.
But what if you don’t fly Spirit each year? Fortunately, there are several easy ways to keep Spirit Airlines miles from expiring without flying. One of those is through Free Spirit Dining.
Like most other airlines and hotels, Spirit offers a dining rewards program. With Free Spirit Dining, members can effortlessly earn bonus miles when dining out. These are on top of any points you might earn from spending on your credit card.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Free Spirit Dining program.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter for more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox.
Free Spirit Dining overview
The Free Spirit Dining program lets you earn up to 5 bonus miles per dollar spent at participating restaurants, bars and clubs. These miles are in addition to the rewards you’d normally earn with your credit card or the restaurant’s rewards program. Plus, any earning activity through Free Spirit Dining is enough to keep your Spirit miles from expiring for 12 more months.
Enrollment is required, but it’s free to join and your membership will stay active as long as you have at least one qualifying activity every 36 months. You’ll need to link at least one card so that the program can track when you dine at participating establishments and award you miles.
How to join Free Spirit Dining
Free Spirit Dining is available to all Free Spirit members. To join, go to the Free Spirit Dining website and click the “Join now” button. You’ll need to provide your Free Spirit number, some basic personal information (name, contact information, etc.) and link at least one credit or debit card.
You’ll also be asked if you would like to opt in to receive email communications. Although no one likes unnecessary marketing emails, you should do so as it will boost your earning rate significantly. If you don’t initially opt in, you can do so later by logging in to your Free Spirit Dining account and toggling your email preferences on the profile page.
How to earn miles with Free Spirit Dining
Since your account is linked to your credit card, you’ll automatically earn miles when you dine at a participating establishment and pay with that card. You don’t need to give the restaurant your frequent flyer number or submit photos of receipts. You’ll earn points based on your final transaction amount, including taxes, fees and tip.
Spirit offers a 1,000-mile welcome bonus for new members who spend $30 or more at participating restaurants within the first 30 days of joining and write an online review within 30 days of the visit. You must also opt in to receive emails to earn the bonus. TPG values Spirit miles at 1.1 cents each, meaning this new member bonus equals $11 back.
Your earning rate depends on your membership tier in the program:
- Members: Earn 1 mile per $2 spent if you elect not to receive email communication from Free Spirit Dining.
- Online members: Earn 3 miles per dollar spent if you elect to receive email communication from Free Spirit Dining.
- VIP members: Earn 5 miles per dollar spent if you elect to receive email communication from Free Spirit Dining and have already completed 11 qualified transactions in the calendar year. You’ll start earning at the VIP level on your 12th qualified transaction.
Based on TPG’s valuation of Spirit points at 1.1 cents apiece, earning 5 miles per dollar spent would get you a 5.5% return on your spending. Meanwhile, 3 points per dollar spent would equate to a 3.3% return. These are solid returns and a great way to keep your miles from expiring.
You can find a list of participating restaurants by searching on the website. You can search for restaurants near your city or ZIP code by name or cuisine. You can also filter by price, establishment type, features and more. Note that some restaurants do not participate in the rewards program every day of the week.
Miles will appear in your Free Spirit Dining account as soon as the transaction is finalized by the restaurant, which is usually within five days. The miles should post to your main Free Spirit account within one to two weeks.
Can you earn miles from multiple dining programs at the same time?
While you can have accounts with each of the programs, you can only enroll each debit or credit card with one Rewards Network-operated dining rewards program at a time. Each of these programs offers distinct promotions and slightly different earning structures, so you’ll want to choose the one that makes the most sense for you.
If you plan on using multiple dining rewards programs, remember to use a different card for each one. If you accidentally register your card with a second program, it will automatically be removed from Free Spirit Dining.
Which cards to use with Free Spirit Dining
Since the miles you earn with the Free Spirit Dining program are in addition to your credit card rewards, you’ll want to use a card that maximizes your spending on dining. Fortunately, there are lots of cards that offer bonus points at restaurants. Here are some of the best currently available cards to consider:
- American Express® Gold Card: 4 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent at restaurants worldwide, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- American Express® Green Card: 3 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent at U.S. restaurants, including takeout and delivery.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: 3 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent at restaurants, including eligible takeout and delivery services.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 3 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent at restaurants, including eligible takeout and delivery services.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can enroll almost any credit or debit card in the Free Spirit Dining program. The few exceptions include Diners Club and internationally issued JBL cards.
Joining a dining rewards program like Free Spirit Dining is an easy way to earn miles without flying. You can set up your account, forget about it and reap the rewards whenever you happen to dine at a participating restaurant.
When choosing which program to credit your dining awards to, I would still go with AAdvantage Dining since the miles are more valuable and you can earn Loyalty Points to help you qualify for status with American. But if Spirit is your go-to airline, then you should definitely join. Also, Spirit miles expire faster than just about any other type of airline mile, so this is an easy way to extend their validity.
Additional reporting by Kyle Olsen.
Featured photo by MAIKA 777/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees