How to stop your Avios from expiring
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avios are the mileage currency of British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus. They can be earned on flights with any Oneworld alliance partner, as well as via non-airline partners. The same broadly applies to redeeming — they can be used on the above three airlines as well as many others.
There are certain risks with holding large sums of Avios. The first risk is that of a devaluation. Typically, that means that either the earning rate or the spending (often referred to as ‘burning’) rate changes. The other risk to your Avios balance is that they expire, so it’s important not to get caught out by this rule and see your hard-earned Avios balance disappear.
The good news is that compared to other programs, the British Airways Executive Club is relatively generous with the Avios expiration rules. BA.com states: “Your Avios stay with you as long as you collect, spend, purchase or share at least one Avios every 36 months — any longer and your Avios will expire and be removed, so remember to take action before those three years are up.”
Essentially, as long as there’s some sort of activity within the three-year period, your Avios are safe. Such activity includes earning, spending, sharing or even buying any amount of Avios.
Earning activities include:
- Flights with British Airways or any partner airline;
- Hotel stays that allow crediting to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or BA holiday bookings;
- Car rentals that allow crediting to BAEC; and,
- Using a British Airways Credit Card, which is both a very easy way to keep your Avios balance from expiring as well as a great way of earning Avios.
You can also prevent your Avios from expiring by spending them. These options include:
- Booking a reward flight with Avios — either an outright Avios redemption or using a combination of Avios and Money;
- Upgrading a flight using Avios;
- Using Avios to save money on cash flights; and,
- Booking a hotel or car rental with Avios.
Purchasing Avios as well as sharing Avios with another Executive Club member also counts as an activity and will reset that 36-month clock.
You work hard to build up your Avios balance, so you should do everything possible to make sure you don’t unintentionally lose them. The good news is that there are many ways to earn Avios on a regular basis — especially if you’re following our Beginners Guide.
Featured photo by TOLGA AKMEN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.