How to Pack Your Suitcase Like Marie Kondo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s as hard to resist as those free in-flight snacks. We’re talking about the urge to pillage your junk and streamline your life. And that desire is in large part thanks to one woman in particular: Marie Kondo.
For the unfamiliar, Kondo is a joy-sparking “tidying expert,” best-selling author, star of the Netflix hit show, “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo,” and founder of the KonMari media brand and lifestyle. According to her bio, Kondo has been “enchanted with organizing” since childhood and started the tidying revolution as a 19-year-old university student in Tokyo.
In her No. 1 New York Times best-selling book, “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up,” Kondo proselytizes that, “if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again.” Well, where do we sign up?
Kondo, who has helped people around the world “transform their cluttered homes into spaces of serenity and inspiration,” is based in Los Angeles and mindfully manages (no surprise there) a tight business travel schedule between California, New York and Tokyo — which is why we tapped her to help us do the same thing with our suitcases.
Here’s what she had to say when it comes to giving her own luggage (Rimowa, in case you’re wondering) the KonMari treatment:
Pack items standing up in the suitcase.
“This creates more space, allows you to see your items easily without needing to dig through your bag, and keeps your clothing in good condition (read: less wrinkles).”
Clothing made from delicate materials should be packed in a bag.
“Perfect for evening wear or lingerie. If the fabric is very thin and silky, try rolling it instead of folding to prevent wrinkling.”
Put small items like jewelry, toiletries and makeup in separate pouches.
“Jewelry should be packed in a compact case — designed specifically for jewelry — to separate rings, earrings, etc. and keep them untangled. Put the lotions, toners and other liquids into reusable, carry-on sized bottles. Then put these in a waterproof pouch. (Although a zippered plastic bag works, it’s better to use a reusable pouch with a design that sparks joy.) Pack shoes separately [to prevent] the dirt on the sole from soiling the other shoe.”
Keep a separate toiletry kit for traveling.
“This saves time that would otherwise be spent unpacking and repacking everyday use items. Additionally, having a second set of bathroom products ensures that you don’t leave behind a toothbrush or contact lens case that you might use the morning of takeoff. Keep these items in a small pouch or box in the corner of a cabinet or drawer for easy access when packing for a trip!”
Leave 10 to 20% of the room in the suitcase empty.
“Space for joy-sparking souvenirs!”
All images courtesy of KonMari Media, Inc.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees