How to Pack Your Suitcase Like Marie Kondo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s as hard to resist as those free in-flight snacks. We’re talking about the urge to pillage your junk and streamline your life. And that desire is in large part thanks to one woman in particular: Marie Kondo.
For the unfamiliar, Kondo is a joy-sparking “tidying expert,” best-selling author, star of the Netflix hit show, “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo,” and founder of the KonMari media brand and lifestyle. According to her bio, Kondo has been “enchanted with organizing” since childhood and started the tidying revolution as a 19-year-old university student in Tokyo.
In her No. 1 New York Times best-selling book, “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up,” Kondo proselytizes that, “if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again.” Well, where do we sign up?
Kondo, who has helped people around the world “transform their cluttered homes into spaces of serenity and inspiration,” is based in Los Angeles and mindfully manages (no surprise there) a tight business travel schedule between California, New York and Tokyo — which is why we tapped her to help us do the same thing with our suitcases.
Here’s what she had to say when it comes to giving her own luggage (Rimowa, in case you’re wondering) the KonMari treatment:
Pack items standing up in the suitcase.
“This creates more space, allows you to see your items easily without needing to dig through your bag, and keeps your clothing in good condition (read: less wrinkles).”
Clothing made from delicate materials should be packed in a bag.
“Perfect for evening wear or lingerie. If the fabric is very thin and silky, try rolling it instead of folding to prevent wrinkling.”
Put small items like jewelry, toiletries and makeup in separate pouches.
“Jewelry should be packed in a compact case — designed specifically for jewelry — to separate rings, earrings, etc. and keep them untangled. Put the lotions, toners and other liquids into reusable, carry-on sized bottles. Then put these in a waterproof pouch. (Although a zippered plastic bag works, it’s better to use a reusable pouch with a design that sparks joy.) Pack shoes separately [to prevent] the dirt on the sole from soiling the other shoe.”
Keep a separate toiletry kit for traveling.
“This saves time that would otherwise be spent unpacking and repacking everyday use items. Additionally, having a second set of bathroom products ensures that you don’t leave behind a toothbrush or contact lens case that you might use the morning of takeoff. Keep these items in a small pouch or box in the corner of a cabinet or drawer for easy access when packing for a trip!”
Leave 10 to 20% of the room in the suitcase empty.
“Space for joy-sparking souvenirs!”
All images courtesy of KonMari Media, Inc.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees