How to Pack Your Suitcase Like Marie Kondo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s as hard to resist as those free in-flight snacks. We’re talking about the urge to pillage your junk and streamline your life. And that desire is in large part thanks to one woman in particular: Marie Kondo.
For the unfamiliar, Kondo is a joy-sparking “tidying expert,” best-selling author, star of the Netflix hit show, “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo,” and founder of the KonMari media brand and lifestyle. According to her bio, Kondo has been “enchanted with organizing” since childhood and started the tidying revolution as a 19-year-old university student in Tokyo.
In her No. 1 New York Times best-selling book, “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up,” Kondo proselytizes that, “if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again.” Well, where do we sign up?
Kondo, who has helped people around the world “transform their cluttered homes into spaces of serenity and inspiration,” is based in Los Angeles and mindfully manages (no surprise there) a tight business travel schedule between California, New York and Tokyo — which is why we tapped her to help us do the same thing with our suitcases.
Here’s what she had to say when it comes to giving her own luggage (Rimowa, in case you’re wondering) the KonMari treatment:
Pack items standing up in the suitcase.
“This creates more space, allows you to see your items easily without needing to dig through your bag, and keeps your clothing in good condition (read: less wrinkles).”
Clothing made from delicate materials should be packed in a bag.
“Perfect for evening wear or lingerie. If the fabric is very thin and silky, try rolling it instead of folding to prevent wrinkling.”
Put small items like jewelry, toiletries and makeup in separate pouches.
“Jewelry should be packed in a compact case — designed specifically for jewelry — to separate rings, earrings, etc. and keep them untangled. Put the lotions, toners and other liquids into reusable, carry-on sized bottles. Then put these in a waterproof pouch. (Although a zippered plastic bag works, it’s better to use a reusable pouch with a design that sparks joy.) Pack shoes separately [to prevent] the dirt on the sole from soiling the other shoe.”
Keep a separate toiletry kit for traveling.
“This saves time that would otherwise be spent unpacking and repacking everyday use items. Additionally, having a second set of bathroom products ensures that you don’t leave behind a toothbrush or contact lens case that you might use the morning of takeoff. Keep these items in a small pouch or box in the corner of a cabinet or drawer for easy access when packing for a trip!”
Leave 10 to 20% of the room in the suitcase empty.
“Space for joy-sparking souvenirs!”
All images courtesy of KonMari Media, Inc.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.