Is this the hottest airport lounge in the world?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airport lounges can sometimes be described as comfortable waiting rooms, though airlines and lounge operators have gone to great lengths over the years to make the experience as nice and comfortable as possible in order to spoil their premium passengers.
Lounge offerings will almost always include food — sometimes buffet, sometimes restaurant-style, made to order — drinks, newspapers, comfortable chairs to lounge or work and often even showers. Access is usually either granted to an airline’s premium passengers in business or first class or status holders.
Some of the more exotic offerings in airline lounges including the ability to get haircuts — like in the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at London Heathrow’s Terminal 3 – baths and foot massages — like in the Cathay Pacific First Class lounges in Hong Kong — and spa treatments — like if traveling with British Airways in Club World or First from London Heathrow or New York-JFK.
Finnair recently refurbished its lounge at its hub in Helsinki (HEL). With the refurbishment, it retained one feature from the previous lounge in the Platinum Wing, which, without any doubt, makes it the hottest lounge in the world: a sauna!
What is otherwise a straightforward and quite decent lounge has interesting signage not normally seen in other lounges. Passengers who have access to the Finnair Platinum Wing can follow those signs and find themselves either in a female or male dressing room and then in a mixed sauna.
If you’re traveling through HEL and have access to the lounge, you don’t need to book an appointment to use the sauna. Instead, you can enter it at your leisure for free.
It’s worth noting that the sauna is mixed gender — meaning you’ll share with both male and female fellow travelers.
To get entry to the Finnair Platinum Wing, you’ll need to be a Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo (up to four guests) or Platinum member (up to one guest). Additionally, Oneworld Emerald members can access with one guest. For all, you’ll be able to access if your flight is leaving from the non-Schengen area during the same day and is operated and marketed by a Oneworld airline.
All photos by Christian Kramer/The Points Guy.
Featured photo by Moncherie/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees