This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you spend much time in the travel deals realm, you’ve likely heard of the Southwest Companion Pass (and ways to earn it without flying a ton). However, there’s another budget airline that is making it even easier to bring along a child or friend on select flights for free. Frontier Airlines formally launched “Kids Fly Free” earlier this year, but after a soft launch in April, the airline is now confirming that “Friends Fly Free” is officially a thing.
Both “Kids Fly Free” and “Friends Fly Free” require an annual Frontier Discount Den membership (here’s the math behind why I bought one), but the nuances of how the two similar offers work differs from there. The offer to fly a child aged 14 years and younger with each paid adult on Frontier is valid on set dates published months in advance (often Tuesdays and Wednesdays).
However, the new “Friends Fly Free” offer will be a “periodic feature for our Discount Den members.” This feature won’t be consistently available, and instead will come around from “time to time,” kind of like airfare sales. To book a friend to fly free with you on an eligible Frontier flight, you will need to use the code FLYFREE and book on Frontier’s website.
To celebrate the official launch of Friends Fly Free, Discount Den members can book eligible flights from now until May 19 for travel on select dates by June 12 or from June 18–Aug. 18. Note that there are many eligible routes, but that not every single Frontier route is eligible. View the full list and terms here. For example, Houston to Denver is not an eligible route while Houston to Orlando and Houston to Las Vegas are eligible. Unlike with Kids Fly Free, round-trip travel is required with the FLYFREE promo code.
How to Book Frontier Friends Fly Free Flights
- Go to FlyFrontier.com.
- Book flights during an eligible sale on an eligible nonstop domestic route.
- Use the code FLYFREE on the flight search screen as shown above.
- Have a $59.99 annual Frontier Discount Den Membership (or purchase one during the booking process).
- The discount will be reflected on the final checkout screen as shown below as a Discount Den savings.
- Add-on fees, such as seat assignments or bag fees, will be charged per person at a non-discounted rate.
Note that one Discount Den membership can result in multiple friends flying free in a buy one, get one free manner. In the example above, two round-trip tickets from Houston to Las Vegas cost $86 total with Friends Fly Free, but as shown below, four can be booked with one Discount Den membership for just $172.
Frontier Airlines is still an ultra low-cost carrier that charges extra for everything (other than bringing a friend), but actually has one of the best frequent flyer programs in the US for families, allows family pooling of miles for elites and card holders, has a credit card that you can use to spend your way to elite status, offers cheap fares starting at $15–$30 each way and has a growing route network with more than 100 destinations.
It’s not the perfect airline for everyone (purchase your tickets using a credit card that has good built-in travel protections), but if you just want to fly for as little cash as possible, Frontier can be worth a look — especially with the new Friends Fly Free offer.
If this is your first time to consider Frontier Airlines, here’s everything you need to know.
Featured image courtesy of robertcicchetti / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: $250 Cash Back Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $250
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: New! Earn 6% cash back on streaming services and 3% cash back on transit. Plus earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%) and 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- New 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- New 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- You spoke, we listened. Over 1.6 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2018.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 15.24% to 26.24%
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees