The Top 5 Tips for Disney World First-Timers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
FastPass, FastPass+, Minnie Vans, monorails, Park Hoppers and dinglehoppers. Though it promises to be the Happiest Place on Earth, Walt Disney World’s sprawling kingdom and complicated patchwork of programs, tickets and terms can make even the most worldly traveler yearn for the simplicity of trying to buy an AC 3-Tier bunk from Rameswaram to Jalandhar City without speaking a lick of Hindi.
But fear not: TPG is here to boil down Disney World’s essential tips so that even newbies will be “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah”-ing down Main Street, USA in no time.
1. Crowd Calendars Are Your Friend
Whether you’re using Undercover Tourist or Touring Plans, you’ll want to consult a crowd calendar so you know what you’re up against. With all the festivals, marathons and other events that come to Walt Disney World, crowds can vary greatly. It’s going to be busy no matter when you go, but how busy? That’s what crowd calendars are for.
2. But FastPass+ Is Your BFF
Whether you’re staying on site and can book 60 days out or can only book 30 days ahead of time, you’ll want to use the FastPass+ system to snag three of your favorite rides each day. (FastPass+, which you can think of as FastPass 2.0, has replaced the old FastPass system, and people tend to use “FastPass+” and “FastPass” interchangeably.)
The most popular rides won’t be available on the day you arrive at the parks. Heck, some rides won’t even be available 30 days ahead of time. Those long lines can be painful. Use FastPass+ wisely.
3. Take One for the Team
If you’re a family of four or more, consider an annual pass for one member of your group. A five-day Park Hopper ticket will set you back $500 per person. For an extra $350, you can purchase an annual pass and get a 20% discount on most dining and merchandise, free PhotoPass downloads and free parking. And, if you can schedule a second Disney vacation within a calendar year of your first, you can get two sets of tickets for the price of one.
4. Tap, Grab and Modify!
Savvy FastPassers graduate to the next level using this technique when grabbing their fourth (and subsequent) FastPass+ selections. Tap into a current FastPass or grab whatever is available in the My Disney Experience app. Then work to modify what you’ve reserved to get the ride or time you really want. It’s better to grab a FastPass and change it than keep searching for the perfect one.
5. Save the Magic
Disney World is a fabulous place for adults and children alike. But once you’ve told your kids you’re going to do all these great things, they may actually expect that’s what will happen, word for word.
The reality is that rides will break, thunderstorms will rain on parades and other issues will pop up. Tell your kids just part of what you have planned. Get them excited, but set expectations low enough so they can be blown away, not disappointed.
Order those picture-perfect princess dresses from Little Dress-Up Shop, as, unlike many dresses sold in the parks, they’re not itchy, they’re affordable and machine-washable.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com.
Want to read more about Disney parks around the world? Check out our other Disney guides…
- The Best Points Hotels Near Disney World in 2018
- TPG’s Ultimate Guide to Disney World
- In the Shadow of the Mouse: Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista – Disney Springs
- 9 Things Families Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland
- How to Save Money By Renting Disney Vacation Club Points
- The 10 Best Disney Thrill Rides Around the World
- How to Use Points for Disney Tickets
- Disney World Without Kids: 10 Ways to Enjoy an Adult Trip to Disney
- 10 Things Kids Will Love at the Disney Aulani Resort in Hawaii
- How to Ride Every Disney World Ride in One Day
- How to Eat Healthy at Disney World
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees