This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
FastPass, FastPass+, Minnie Vans, monorails, Park Hoppers and dinglehoppers. Though it promises to be the Happiest Place on Earth, Walt Disney World’s sprawling kingdom and complicated patchwork of programs, tickets and terms can make even the most worldly traveler yearn for the simplicity of trying to buy an AC 3-Tier bunk from Rameswaram to Jalandhar City without speaking a lick of Hindi.
But fear not: TPG is here to boil down Disney World’s essential tips so that even newbies will be “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah”-ing down Main Street, USA in no time.
1. Crowd Calendars Are Your Friend
Whether you’re using Undercover Tourist or Touring Plans, you’ll want to consult a crowd calendar so you know what you’re up against. With all the festivals, marathons and other events that come to Walt Disney World, crowds can vary greatly. It’s going to be busy no matter when you go, but how busy? That’s what crowd calendars are for.
2. But FastPass+ Is Your BFF
Whether you’re staying on site and can book 60 days out or can only book 30 days ahead of time, you’ll want to use the FastPass+ system to snag three of your favorite rides each day. (FastPass+, which you can think of as FastPass 2.0, has replaced the old FastPass system, and people tend to use “FastPass+” and “FastPass” interchangeably.)
The most popular rides won’t be available on the day you arrive at the parks. Heck, some rides won’t even be available 30 days ahead of time. Those long lines can be painful. Use FastPass+ wisely.
3. Take One for the Team
If you’re a family of four or more, consider an annual pass for one member of your group. A five-day Park Hopper ticket will set you back $500 per person. For an extra $350, you can purchase an annual pass and get a 20% discount on most dining and merchandise, free PhotoPass downloads and free parking. And, if you can schedule a second Disney vacation within a calendar year of your first, you can get two sets of tickets for the price of one.
4. Tap, Grab and Modify!
Savvy FastPassers graduate to the next level using this technique when grabbing their fourth (and subsequent) FastPass+ selections. Tap into a current FastPass or grab whatever is available in the My Disney Experience app. Then work to modify what you’ve reserved to get the ride or time you really want. It’s better to grab a FastPass and change it than keep searching for the perfect one.
5. Save the Magic
Disney World is a fabulous place for adults and children alike. But once you’ve told your kids you’re going to do all these great things, they may actually expect that’s what will happen, word for word.
The reality is that rides will break, thunderstorms will rain on parades and other issues will pop up. Tell your kids just part of what you have planned. Get them excited, but set expectations low enough so they can be blown away, not disappointed.
Order those picture-perfect princess dresses from Little Dress-Up Shop, as, unlike many dresses sold in the parks, they’re not itchy, they’re affordable and machine-washable.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com.
Want to read more about Disney parks around the world? Check out our other Disney guides…
- The Best Points Hotels Near Disney World in 2018
- TPG’s Ultimate Guide to Disney World
- In the Shadow of the Mouse: Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista – Disney Springs
- 9 Things Families Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland
- How to Save Money By Renting Disney Vacation Club Points
- The 10 Best Disney Thrill Rides Around the World
- How to Use Points for Disney Tickets
- Disney World Without Kids: 10 Ways to Enjoy an Adult Trip to Disney
- 10 Things Kids Will Love at the Disney Aulani Resort in Hawaii
- How to Ride Every Disney World Ride in One Day
- How to Eat Healthy at Disney World
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*