Best Credit Cards for Daycare Expenses
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Daycare expenses seem to be never ending for parents. The average cost of center-based daycare in the United States is nearly $1,000 per month. Of course, this price widely varies based on location. To add to this large monthly expense, some daycare centers are beginning to offer ancillary products, such as internet viewing for parents, for an additional charge.
While these costs aren’t going to slow down anytime soon, credit cards can help alleviate the pain a bit. However, be sure when you are ‘shopping’ around for childcare in your area, ask if they have any fees when using a credit card.
Here are the best credit cards for daycare expenses.
With the Blue Business Plus Credit Card, earning points couldn’t be simpler. You will earn 2x per dollar on the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year, and 1 point per dollar afterward with no annual fee (see rates and fees).
Along with this, you will have a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.24%-19.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening) (see rates and fees).
With TPG’s valuation of American Express Membership Rewards at 2 cents per point, you will be able to earn 4 cents per dollar in value back for your daycare expenses if you are within the $50,000/year mark.
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a perfect card for someone looking to earn miles without the hassle of spending categories. With this card, you will earn 2 miles per dollar (worth 2.8 cents, according to the latest TPG valuations) on all purchases. You can also earn100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
This card has a $95 annual fee.
If earning cash back is more to your liking, the Chase Freedom Unlimited could be the right fit for you. You will earn $200 after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Along with this, you will have a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months from account opening (then variable APR of 14.99% – 23.74% applies).
This one is a long-shot, but it is worth mentioning. The Business Platinum Card from American Express is an appealing card because of the incredible perks. However, it does come with a steep $595 annual fee (see rates and fees), but there is a reason to mention this card when it comes to daycare services.
The welcome bonus for The Business Platinum Card is currently 125,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first three months of card membership. For many people, spending $15,000 in 3 months is a heavy ask. However, if you are able to pay ahead for childcare and pay your balance off, this could be a perfect opportunity to score a lot of American Express Membership Rewards points.
If that pill is too much to swallow at once, you may want to consider the traditional Platinum Card® from American Express to score some valuable points.
Paying for daycare is never a fun expense. However, it can be mitigated with some major points earnings.
One other points to keep in mind – if your daycare service does not accept credit cards, ask if they will accept from a bill pay service like Plastiq. While there are fees to use Plastiq, it may just be worth it to earn that next welcome bonus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.