Best Credit Cards for Daycare Expenses
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Daycare expenses seem to be never ending for parents. The average cost of center-based daycare in the United States is nearly $1,000 per month. Of course, this price widely varies based on location. To add to this large monthly expense, some daycare centers are beginning to offer ancillary products, such as internet viewing for parents, for an additional charge.
While these costs aren’t going to slow down anytime soon, credit cards can help alleviate the pain a bit. However, be sure when you are ‘shopping’ around for childcare in your area, ask if they have any fees when using a credit card.
Here are the best credit cards for daycare expenses.
Welcome offer: Earn 15,000 points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
With the Blue Business Plus Credit Card, earning points couldn’t be simpler. You will earn 2x per dollar on the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year, and 1 point per dollar afterward with no annual fee (see rates and fees).
Along with this, you will have a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.24%-19.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening) (see rates and fees).
With TPG’s valuation of American Express Membership Rewards at 2 cents per point, you will be able to earn 4 cents per dollar in value back for your daycare expenses if you are within the $50,000/year mark.
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a perfect card for someone looking to earn miles without the hassle of spending categories. With this card, you will earn 2 miles per dollar (worth 2.8 cents, according to the latest TPG valuations) on all purchases. You can also earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
This card has a $95 annual fee.
If earning cash back is more to your liking, the Chase Freedom Unlimited could be the right fit for you. You will earn $200 after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Along with this, you will have a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months from account opening (then variable APR of 14.99% – 23.74% applies).
This one is a long-shot, but it is worth mentioning. The Business Platinum Card from American Express is an appealing card because of the incredible perks. However, it does come with a steep $595 annual fee; $695 if application received on or after 1/13/2022 (see rates and fees), but there is a reason to mention this card when it comes to daycare services.
The welcome bonus for The Business Platinum Card is currently 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first three months of card membership. For many people, spending $15,000 in three months is a heavy ask. However, if you are able to pay ahead for childcare and pay your balance off, this could be a perfect opportunity to score a lot of American Express Membership Rewards points.
If that pill is too much to swallow at once, you may want to consider the traditional Platinum Card® from American Express to score some valuable points.
Paying for daycare is never a fun expense. However, it can be mitigated with some major points earnings.
One other points to keep in mind – if your daycare service does not accept credit cards, ask if they will accept from a bill pay service like Plastiq. While there are fees to use Plastiq, it may just be worth it to earn that next welcome bonus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees