Parking fees in Vegas are back: Here’s how to avoid them
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
MGM recently announced that it would resume charging parking fees at its Las Vegas hotels in June. While this decision might be disappointing for travelers planning to return to Vegas this summer, it’s not the worst news. There are still plenty of Vegas hotels offering free parking to guests and visitors alike. Plus, there are a few workarounds for getting free parking on the Vegas Strip. Here are all the tips and tricks you need to know about.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Stay at a hotel that offers free parking
From budget to luxury properties, there are still plenty of hotels on The Strip where parking is free. The Palazzo and Venetian both offer free valet and self-parking. So do the Tropicana, Sahara, Stratosphere, and Treasure Island. At Cosmopolitan, valet and self-parking are free for guests only.
It’s worth noting that during special events at T-Mobile Arena, the Tropicana will impose a $20 valet parking fee on non-hotel guest parking.
While Circus-Circus offers free self-parking for all, valet will set you back $12-16, depending on how long you’re staying.
Get free parking through M life Rewards
Elite members of MGM’s M life rewards program will continue to get free parking, depending on their status level. Members who have Pearl status or higher receive free self-parking, while those with Gold status or higher qualify for free valet.
- Hyatt Member = M life Sapphire
- Hyatt Discoverist = M life Pearl
- Hyatt Explorist= M life Gold
- Hyatt Globalist = M life Gold
If you have the World of Hyatt Credit Card, you get automatic Discoverist status, which will get you matched to M life Pearl. That will get you free self-parking and if you want to move up to M life Gold via Hyatt Explorist status, you can earn extra elite qualifying nights through the card.
New cardholders receive five elite qualifying nights, plus all cardholders can earn two additional nights for every $5,000 in card spending. With Hyatt lowering elite status requirements due to the pandemic, you’ll need 15 nights to hit Explorist status. Once you’re ready to match to M life, head to the Hyatt website to request your status match.
Free parking through other rewards programs
Aside from M life, several casinos have rewards programs that offer elite members free parking. Caesar’s Rewards offers free valet and self-parking to those with Platinum status or higher.
The Cosmopolitan’s Identity rewards program offers free self-parking for members with Sterling status and higher. Those with Gold status and beyond get free valet parking. Just bring your rewards card and show it to the attendant to take advantage of this benefit. Parking is free to all guests at The Cosmopolitan.
Free parking at shopping malls
If you want free parking during the day and don’t mind a short trek to your hotel, then consider parking at a shopping mall. Fashion Show Mall, The Shoppes at Mandalay Bay and the Shops at Crystals all offer free self-parking.
Parking at a shopping mall for free might be convenient if you’re visiting different casinos nearby that don’t offer free parking. Just be aware of mall hours and remove your car, since overnight parking isn’t allowed.
Free parking for veterans
Caesars Entertainment has a special discount program for veterans, active U.S. military members and their spouses. SALUTE offers discounts on dining, show tickets, and even a free stay at the Atlantis, Paradise Island in The Bahamas. In Vegas, SALUTE members get complimentary parking at Caesars hotels, including Caesars Palace, Harrah’s, Planet Hollywood and more.
Use a rideshare service
If you want to avoid parking fees and the hassle of a potential car rental shortage, rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are the way to go. You can hail a ride at McCarran airport to a hotel on The Strip for around $25 each way. Getting around without a rental car is feasible, thanks to free shuttles offered between popular hotels on The Strip.
With travel to Vegas set to pick up this summer, it’s no surprise that hotel companies like MGM would reinstate parking fees. Hotels have suffered low occupancy rates over the last year and the summer travel season is the ideal time to recoup some of those losses. Higher room rates are a given, but the added parking fees can generate extra revenue from an already captive audience.
Hopefully, by following some of these tips, you can avoid parking fees in Las Vegas this summer.
Featured image by f11photo/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees