Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card review: Decent earning and no annual fee
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express overview
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers several bonus cash-back categories and some new benefits, making this card a decent option in the crowded field of cash-back cards. Card Rating*: ⭐⭐⭐
*Card Rating is based on the opinion of TPG’s editors and is not influenced by the card issuer.
Making the most of travel rewards can be a challenging endeavor — which is why many consumers lean toward cash-back credit cards. There are many options in this category, including several that incur no annual fee.
One such card — the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express — underwent a significant refresh in July 2022, boosting earning rates and adding new statement credits. It may not be the best choice for everyone, but it does offer solid returns on popular spending categories without an annual fee (see rates and fees). This card is ideal for those who prefer cards without annual fees or cards with cash-back rewards instead of points and miles. The Blue Cash Everyday Card also can help students and young professionals continue to build credit while earning modest rewards.
Related: Why you should get (and keep) a no-annual-fee credit card
In this guide, let's take a closer look at the Blue Cash Everyday Card to decide whether this card is right for you.
Blue Cash Everyday Card welcome offer
If you apply for the Blue Cash Everyday Card, you can earn a $200 statement credit after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first six months of cardmembership. That's a 10% return on spending.
Additionally, new applicants can enjoy a 0% introductory annual percentage rate (APR) on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months of cardmembership and reduced plan fees with Plan It (American Express' Buy Now, Pay Later feature) during that same period. After the introductory period, a variable APR of 18.99%-29.99% applies, while Plan It fees could be as high as 1.33% after the introductory period.
Due to Amex’s once-per-lifetime rule, you likely won’t be eligible for this welcome offer if you have or previously had the Blue Cash Everyday Card. Amex also might consider other factors when determining your eligibility for the welcome offer.
Luckily, Amex has a welcome offer eligibility tool that will tell you whether you’re eligible for the bonus — before you submit. If not being eligible to earn the bonus is a deal-breaker, you can withdraw your application before there’s a hard pull on your credit. For those who don't have any American Express cards, you can use the "Apply with confidence" tool to see if you're pre-approved.
Related: How to use the CardMatch tool to get better credit card welcome offers
Earning rewards with the Blue Cash Everyday Card
With the Blue Cash Everyday Card from Amex, you’ll earn:
- 3% cash back on the first $6,000 you spend each calendar year at U.S. supermarkets (then 1%).
- 3% back on the first $6,000 you spend each calendar year at U.S. gas stations (then 1%).
- 3% back on the first $6,000 you spend each calendar year at U.S. online retailers (then 1%).
- 1% on all other eligible purchases
Cash back is received as reward dollars that can be redeemed for statement credits.
Related: 3 reasons why you want a cash-back credit card in your wallet
Redeeming rewards with the Blue Cash Everyday Card
The Blue Cash Everyday Card is a cash-back credit card, making the redemption process straightforward. You earn cash-back rewards in the form of Blue Cash reward dollars, which you can redeem for statement credits with no minimum redemption amount.
Occasionally, American Express may offer you other ways to redeem reward dollars, such as gift cards or merchandise. However, if given other options, ensure that your redemption rate is the same or better than redeeming for a statement credit. With statement credits, your rewards are worth 1 cent apiece.
Related: Best ways to use the cash back from your credit card
Blue Cash Everyday Card benefits
As with most no-annual-fee cash-back credit cards, the Blue Cash Everyday Card from Amex doesn’t offer many benefits. However, the card does offer the following perks:
- Disney Bundle statement credit: Receive up to $84 in credits each year (up to $7 per month) after spending $12.99 or more each month on your eligible Disney Bundle subscription when paying with the Blue Cash Everyday card. Enrollment is required in advance for this benefit.
- Home Chef statement credit: Receive up to $180 in credits annually, given as $15 per month, when you pay with your Blue Cash Everyday card. Enrollment is required in advance.
- Amex Offers: As an American Express cardholder, you’ll get access to targeted offers that can save you money.
- Car rental insurance: You can enjoy secondary rental car insurance when paying for the rental with your card — up to $50,000 of protection against theft or damage.*
- Global Assist Hotline: When you’re more than 100 miles away from home, you’ll get 24/7 access to medical, legal, financial and select emergency coordination and assistance services. However, you’ll be responsible for any costs charged by third-party service providers.**
- Pay It® Plan It®: If you need additional flexibility when paying your credit card bill, you can use Pay It® to quickly make payments for purchases under $100 throughout the month (available through the American Express app). You can also use Plan It® for qualifying purchases of $100 or more and split them up into monthly payments with a fixed monthly fee. There is no enrollment or sign-up requirement.
- American Express Experiences: Amex offers cardholders access to pre-sale tickets and exclusive events.
*Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Not all vehicle types or rentals are covered, and geographic restrictions apply. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for details. Policies are underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company. Coverage is offered through American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.
**Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for details. Cardmembers are responsible for the costs charged by third-party service providers.
Related: Best American Express credit cards for 2022
Which cards compete with the Blue Cash Everyday Card?
The most natural competitors for the Blue Cash Everyday card are other cards earning cash back.
- If you want higher earning rates on a similar card: The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers 6% back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 of purchases per year, then 1% back), 6% back on U.S. streaming subscriptions, 3% back on transit, 3% back at U.S. gas stations and 1% back on other purchases. Cash back is received as reward dollars that can be redeemed for statement credits. It also includes the Disney Bundle benefit and up to $120 in Equinox credits per year. There's a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 (see rates and fees). For more information, check out our full review of the Blue Cash Preferred card.
- If you want more options for using your earnings: The Citi® Double Cash Card (see rates and fees) has no annual fee and earns 2 points per dollar on all purchases — 1 point when you purchase and another 1 point when you pay your bill. You can cash out these points but also can use them with hotel and airline programs for travel. For more information, check out our full review of the Double Cash Card.
- If you want flexible rewards and bonus categories: The Chase Freedom Flex has no annual fee and earns 5% cash back on travel booked through the Chase travel portal, 3% back on dining, 3% back on drugstore purchases and 1% back on other purchases. You'll also earn 5% back on up to $1,500 of purchases in rotating categories each quarter. You can redeem your earnings for cash back or turn these into points if you have certain travel cards from Chase. For more details, check out our full review of the Freedom Flex card.
- If you want cash back on dining and ride-hailing: The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card has no annual fee and earns 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, eligible streaming services and at grocery stores, plus 1% back on all other purchases. You'll also earn 10% back on purchases from Uber and Uber Eats through Nov. 14, 2024. For more information, check out our full review of the SavorOne Cash Rewards card.
For additional options, check out our full list of cash-back credit cards.
Read more: Should you get the Blue Cash Preferred or Blue Cash Everyday card?
Is the Blue Cash Everyday Card card worth it?
This is a great card if you want to bonus cash back on groceries, gas and online shopping without an annual fee. Rewards are easily redeemed at a fixed rate, eliminating guesswork on whether you're getting good value from your earnings. However, the spending limits in these bonus categories might be too low, so consider whether a different card would provide you with more rewards at the end of the year.
Related: The best credit cards for everyday spending
To be a top cash-back credit card, a card must offer an excellent rewards structure. The Blue Cash Everyday Card doesn’t quite have that, but it could be a solid cash-back card for many — especially students and credit card beginners with low monthly budgets. Plus, the card has no annual fee and provides monthly statement credits that can lead to positive value year after year for current cardholders.
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Everyday, click here.
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Preferred, click here.
Additional reporting by Ryan Wilcox and Ryan Smith.