Act fast: United award flights from just 3,000 miles or $29 each way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thinking about booking a United flight for travel by May 26, 2021? You might want to lock it in today.
In celebration of “National Plan your Vacation Day,” United Airlines has dropped its fares on some routes to $29 each way, with awards starting at just 3,000 miles. You need to book your flight today, Jan. 26, 2021, for travel between Feb. 9 and May 26, 2021 in order to take advantage. You can find a complete list of discounted flights here.
The lowest fares are available on United’s shortest flights, such as San Diego (SAN) and Los Angeles (LAX) to San Francisco (SFO):
You can book these flights for $29 each way, but the lowest fares generally require traveling in basic economy, without a seat assignment or carry-on bag. Note that free changes are permitted for all United flights issued by March 31, 2021, including basic economy.
Alternatively, you might want to consider booking an award for 3,000 miles, since those tickets include full economy perks.
You can also find $29 fares or 3,000-mile awards on other short-haul United flights, such as Boston (BOS) to Washington, D.C. (IAD):
Or Houston (IAH) to New Orleans (MSY):
Longer flights might cost you a hair more, but they’re discounted as well, such as Chicago (ORD) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $39:
Or 3,500 miles each way:
If you don’t already have miles in your account, you can consider a transfer from Chase Ultimate Rewards — miles generally post instantly, but there are occasional transfer delays, so there’s a small chance you won’t have the miles in your United account in time to take advantage of this sale.
With fares so low, though, it may make more sense to save your points and miles for another booking, and pay cash, instead. Alternatively, you can redeem directly through Chase’s travel portal — customers with a Chase Sapphire Reserve can redeem points for 1.5 cents each, while those with a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card can redeem for 1.25 cents.
As always, be sure to compare fares before you decide to lock in an award — TPG values MileagePlus miles at 1.3 cents apiece, but it’s easy to get much more value out of your miles than that. 3,000 miles is an incredible rate, but with fares of $29, you may want to consider paying cash, instead.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees