Deal alert: Southwest sale from $39 for 2 days only (including Hawaii interisland flights)
Southwest is back at it again with a fall travel sale, offering discounted rates for bookings Sept. 24 through Sept. 26, 2019. This time, travel is valid from Oct. 8, 2019 through March 4, 2020, though blackout dates apply.
Excitingly, the fare sale includes Southwest’s interisland flights in Hawaii, many of which are ringing in at the $39 mark. All fares are nonrefundable, although Southwest does allow you to put nonrefundable travel credit toward a future flight within one year of the original purchase date. Travel also needs to be booked more than 14 days in advance for U.S. travel and 21 days for Puerto Rico and international flights, so keep that in mind when searching.
And if you’ve already made a reservation through Southwest and later find that the price of the ticket has decreased, you can request the difference in fare with no change fees. Also remember that Southwest award redemptions are tied to the ticket’s price, so this is a prime opportunity to use Southwest points for a cheap trip. You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantly at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: Domestic and international routes
Cost: From $49+ one-way or 2,517 Southwest points + $6 one-way
Travel Dates: Domestic travel valid Oct. 8, 2019 – March 4, 2020; flights to/from Puerto Rico valid Oct. 15 – Dec. 5, 2019 and Jan. 13 – March 4, 2020; International travel valid Oct. 15 – Dec. 11, 2019 and Jan. 7 – March 5, 2020.
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or via amextravel.com) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Southwest.com
Hilo (ITO) to Honolulu (HNL) for $39 one-way:
Kahului (OGG) to Honolulu (HNL) for $39 one-way:
Atlanta, GA (ATL) to Nashville (BNA) for $49 one-way:
Burbank, CA (BUR) to San Jose (SJC) for $49 one-way:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out our guide to the best cards for airfare purchases to learn more.
Featured photo by okimo/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.